Ronald Reagan

by Shiv Puliady from San Diego, California in United States

126717Ronald Reagan was the 40th President of the United States of America. Some argue that he is the greatest US president of all time.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_ReaganThe Rocket of Heroism

“ ‘We mourn seven heroes...For the families of the seven...Your loved ones were daring and brave, and they had that special grace, that special spirit that says, Give me a challenge and I'll meet it with joy….I know it is hard to understand, but sometimes painful things like this happen… It's all part of taking a chance and expanding man's horizons...The Challenger crew was pulling us into the future, and we'll continue to follow them…’ “ (Reagan). During the Cold War, astronauts astounded and entertained the world with their breathtaking achievements. However, on January 28, 1986, Americans stood together in shock, as they lost the lives of seven of their beloved heroes. Fortunately, President Ronald Reagan provided comfort and support during a time of mourning, as he reminded the nation of the immeasurable sense of heroism that it took for the astronauts to risk their lives just to widen the knowledge of humanity. As demonstrated by the astronauts, true heroism exhibits itself when a person anticipates and contemplates the possible obstacles and risks coming with a certain task, but still going out aiming to complete the task with every little ounce of effort they have in them to help their society prosper. With heroism, real-life heroes comfort and entertain others with compelling and inspirational stories in a time of extreme adversity. A hero’s job is to risk their own lives with the intention of helping another. In this sense, heroes can vary from a person that enlisted in the military during wartime to protect their loved ones, to a person that was almost bankrupt still donating to a charity for those in poverty, and even to a person that spent their entire life savings to develop a cure for a life-threatening disease. Heroes risk their lives to make our world one step closer to a perfect society, but that means a hero cannot exist if their society is a utopia. In a utopia, heroes would have no need to serve others if there were no wars to fight, if there were no one living in hardships to help out, or if there were no diseases to cure. Unfortunately, humans have never created a perfect society, leading societies desperately needing heroes in the darkest situations. Becoming a hero is quite easy as all they have to do is solve just one of society’s many problems. Essentially, all a person needs to do to be qualified as a hero is risk something they own to help out just one person, at one particular event. However, if a person wants to be remembered by the world as a true hero, one must touch the lives of millions forever. A true hero would present confidence or bravery in every action they take. A true hero is one that transfers optimistic views to others and uses their courage to solve problems, allowing their world to get out of a social tension or an economic disaster.

When the American economy was headed towards a major recession and evil dictatorships filled the world, Ronald Wilson Reagan, the hero of free-market capitalism and democracy, saved us all. On February 6, 1911, in a small apartment in Tampico, Illinois, Ronald Reagan was born to his two loving parents, John Edward Reagan and Nelle Clyde Wilson. As a child, Ronald Reagan grew up with his brother, Neil Reagan, and they moved with the family several times within Illinois. Reagan’s family eventually settled in Dixon, Illinois, where Reagan’s father, John, owned and worked at a shoe retail store. Ronald Reagan’s parents never lived with much wealth or power; however, Reagan still recalled his childhood as an idyllic one. Reagan’s childhood ended in 1932, when he graduated from Eureka College and announced baseball games at WHO radio in Davenport, Iowa. In 1937, Reagan accepted a 7-year contract with Warner Brothers in Los Angeles to kick off his B-grade acting career in Hollywood. Reagan married Jane Wyman in 1940 and in 1941, the couple gave birth to Maureen Reagan. In 1945, Jane and Ronald adopted their son, Michael Reagan. After joining the military and continuing his Hollywood career, Ronald Reagan launched himself into politics in 1947, when he was elected president of the Screen Actors Guild to combat the communist accusations put on Hollywood directors and writers. In 1949, Reagan is then left blindsided when Jane decided to file a divorce, but just a few years after the split, Reagan married Nancy Davis. Reagan dove deeper into politics by supporting numerous Democrats in their elections from 1948-1956. However, Reagan  switched to the Republican party in 1962, and campaigned for conservative Barry Goldwater, launching Reagan into political fame. In 1966, Reagan won in a landslide victory for governor of California, holding the office for two terms. After his terrific terms as governor, many pressured Reagan to bid for the White House, but Reagan’s first attempt for the presidency fell short in the Republican primaries. However, Reagan came back strong. He was elected president of the United States for two terms from 1981 to 1989. During his presidency, Reagan became known for his incredible speeches and quickly became known as the “Great Communicator.” But Reagan was really remembered for his historic tax cuts and his actions in the Cold War. After his presidency, Reagan retired from his home in California with Nancy and his children. In 1994, Reagan announced he was suffering from Alzheimer's, a battle he would fight to his death. On June 5, 2004, Reagan watched as the sun set over his life, a life that will be forever known as a heroic one. During his historic presidency, Reagan displayed his optimism in the American economy and presented his courage in his foreign policy. Through his optimistic outlook and his courage to stand up to his enemies, Reagan pulled America out of a dark and distressed time and heroically ushered Americans into a new era of prosperity and freedom.

126719Reagan's presidential campaign motto in the 1980's was "Let's Make America Great Again!" This motto has also been used recently by President Donald Trump, who has praised Reagan.https://redalertpolitics.com/2016/07/14/tbt-reagans-1980-convention-speech-calls-make-america-great-video/Reagan’s faith and optimism in the future of America’s economy revived the American spirit, dragged America out of an economic depression and brought common Americans a new generation of tremendous wealth. After President Carter left the American economy in shambles, Reagan believed that monumental tax cuts would reverse the recession. However, many thought Reagan’s economic policy had failed to reach its purpose, since Reagan’s ideas soon showed negative results. Reagan, however, did not let these minor setbacks get in the way of his visions of the future: “As one Reagan adviser told Time magazine during the lingering recession of 1982-83, when the tax cuts seemed slow in sparking the economy, ‘He is absolutely convinced that there will be a big recovery. ... ‘He is an optimist. My God is he an optimist!’ … There was immense pressure on Reagan to reverse his tax cuts. Reagan, however, hung in there. Undeterred, he knew the free market needed to be freed to perform its magic, which it eventually did” (Kengor). Though his economic policies suggested a prolonging of an economic recession, President Reagan convinced his fellow Americans that one day, his policies would ultimately bring great fortune to the nation. Reagan’s confidence echoed with others, especially when Reagan’s advisor demonstrated their enthusiastic charisma for Reagan. Reagan’s sense of optimism rejuvenated the American spirit, which allowed Reagan’s tax cuts to eventually restore the free market American economy and make it reach tremendous heights. Like a true hero, Reagan enlivened even those living in the depths of destitution and brought the miserable great fortune and affluence. Reagan again exhibited his optimism during his second inaugural address. In his speech, Reagan reminded the country what he achieved in the previous term what his goals and policies are for his next term. Reagan also calls for every American to help him bring a new period of glory to the nation: “ ‘When I took this oath four years ago, I did so in a time of economic stress. Voices were raised saying that we had to look to our past for the greatness and glory. But we, the present-day Americans, are not given to looking backward. In this blessed land, there is always a better tomorrow’ ” (qtd. in "President Ronald Reagan's Inaugural Address, January 21, 1985."). As the country’s economy seemed to go down a downward spiral, President Reagan knew that Americans desperately needed a mentality switch. Reagan successfully changed the mindset of others by proving that the future always held a new source of glory and hope. By giving Americans the confidence they needed, Reagan brought the American economy a “better tomorrow.” Just like a real hero, Reagan amended the American outlook, which allowed Reagan to bring a much-needed change to a distraught society. As his society’s economy started to decline, Reagan used his great sense of optimism to reconstruct the American mentality, which would eventually bring common Americans fortunes that they would live off of for generations.

126718Ronald Reagan believed that the best way to achieve world peace was to strengthen the US military. This policy was proven to work during the Cold War, as the strength of the United States caused the Soviet Union to collapse.https://www.emaze.com/@ALRCFQRZUsing his tremendous courage, Reagan defeated the Soviet Union during the Cold War and brought in a new age of freedom and liberty for the world to enjoy. In the midst of a heated Cold War, the Soviet Union divided Berlin in half with the infamous Berlin Wall to cut off America and the rest of the free world from communist East Berlin. During this time, diplomatic relations between the countries were strained and the threat of a nuclear war remained in the picture. In 1987, Reagan knew that the civilians living in the Soviet Union had suffered enough from the tyrannical nation and demanded Soviet leader General Secretary Gorbachev to break down the barriers toward liberty and peace: “ ‘There is one sign the Soviets can make that would be unmistakable, that would advance dramatically the cause of freedom and peace. General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!’ ” (Reagan). Through his actions, Reagan displayed his courageousness by risking his entire country, simply to bring freedom to those that lived in the bottomless pits of authoritarian regimes. Unlike most presidents that preceded him, President Reagan drew a red line and confronted General Secretary Gorbachev and forced him to obey America’s rules. Reagan’s courageousness would ultimately lead to the fall of the communist regime, just a few years after Reagan’s presidential term ended. Identical to the innate distinctions of a hero, Reagan never backed down from any challenge and he took tremendous risks to release those living under the shackles of social distress. After Reagan announced to the world that he hoped for freedom and democracy to dominate communist and tyrannical regimes, Reagan faced large amounts of controversy for his remarks: “His speech was widely denounced by the liberal media and by most of the timid leaders of Western Europe as warmongering and provocation....Despite the intense criticism, Reagan would not be deterred from pursuing his vision of eliminating the Soviet threat to the West. In March of 1983 Reagan upped the ante. Speaking to the National Association of Evangelicals Reagan referred to the Soviet Union as an ‘evil empire.’ Once again Reagan spoke the truth. Describing the spiritual darkness imposed on hundreds of millions of unwilling people, Reagan confronted the godlessness of the Soviet Union. Reagan described them as ‘...the locus of evil in the modern world’ ” (Palmer). Even when he was denounced by many of his allies, Reagan kept speaking out for the greater good of humanity. He knew freedom and democracy must take over the world and he did not let a little disagreement change his vision. His views would ultimately lead to the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991, formally ending the Cold War. Heroes never succumb to insignificant opinions; they do what is right, no matter what anyone says. Like a hero, Reagan risked his own reputation for the benefit of society. With his ability to risk himself and his own image to help others in need, Reagan defeated the Soviet Union and brought a new era of peace to the world.

126720Reagan is truly an American hero; he could have continued his happy life in Hollywood, but he took a huge risks for the people of the future.https://www.flickr.com/photos/carolinapixel/4313696073Even when it seemed as if freedom and liberty were destined to fall, Reagan presented himself as a hero with his optimistic and courageous actions, which saved humanity and pushed the world to new limits. With his confidence in himself and others, Reagan brought America a new period of economic prosperity. Reagan used his valor to end the Cold War and brought a new era of peace and freedom to almost every corner of the world. But Reagan was not considered a hero just because he expressed optimism and courage in his actions; after all, what actually made Reagan a true hero was the fact that he used these traits with the intention of helping others. For instance, Reagan did not use his optimistic views to make his own life easier; rather, Reagan transferred his optimism to others, giving them the confidence they needed to bring themselves out of an economic crisis. Also, Reagan never used his courage in the Cold War to make the world think he was a tough guy; instead, he used his bravery to protect other people’s freedom from tyrannical dictators and the practice of communism. Whenever Reagan saw a problem, he went out and fixed it. When Reagan saw America’s economy failing, he rebuilt and restored it. When Reagan saw the threat of tyranny oppressing the world, he confronted it. Reagan saw the world losing freedom and he protected and preserved it. “ ‘Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States where men were free’ ” (qtd. in Jackson). Freedom has been the most important ideology throughout human history, but just like every other good thing in the world, freedom is vulnerable to evil. Throughout the twentieth century, evil people had almost taken over our freedoms; but because of the America’s constant involvement in fighting against the evildoers, Reagan explained to Americans that they were the protectors of freedom. By reminding his people of their country’s history, Reagan inspired Americans to risk their own lives for the rights and freedoms of people that they may never meet in their life. In other words, Reagan inspired Americans to be the heroes in the world, as by definition, a hero is a person who risks their life to help another. Because of Reagan, I too am a proud American. Even if it means that I may lose my life, I am determined to preserve the freedoms of others. I have even joined my school’s Speech and Debate team, just in case I need to dive into politics at some point in my career to bring freedoms back to the American people. But I cannot fight for freedom unless I know Reagan’s story of his rocket of heroism. As evildoers and other miseries ruled a bleak and somber night, Ronald Reagan launched his rocket, filled with peace, freedom, joy, and opportunity, into the air and brought the world a gleaming star to look at for hope. Like any other hero, Reagan brought his people out of social and economic hardships and blasted off into the future, leaving a smoke trail behind for us all to follow.

Gary, Palmer. “Reagan's Courage Helped Destroy the 'Evil Empire'.” The Southeast

Sun, 11 Dec. 2002, 12:00,

www.southeastsun.com/opinion/article_167fc0a6-797b-553a-8fc2-26e7713be00c.html.

Jackson, Gary P. “October 27,1964: Remembering Ronald Reagan's Most Iconic Speech.” A

Time For Choosing, 27 Oct. 2013,

thespeechatimeforchoosing.wordpress.com/2013/10/27/october-271964-remembering-r

onald-regans-most-iconic-speech/.

Kengor, Paul. “Ronald Reagan's Optimism Played a Pivotal Role in His Success.”

TribLIVE.com, Triblive, 14 Feb. 2015,

triblive.com/opinion/featuredcommentary/7650130-74/reagan-optimism-optimist.

"President Ronald Reagan's Inaugural Address, January 21, 1985." American Decades Primary

Sources, edited by Cynthia Rose, vol. 9: 1980-1989, Gale, 2004, pp. 367-370. Biography

In Context,

http://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/CX3490201738/BIC?u=powa9245&sid=BIC&xid=

44cf5fa. Accessed 26 Apr. 2018.

Reagan, Ronald. “Explosion of the Space Shuttle Challenger Address to the Nation, January 28,

1986.” NASA, NASA, 7 June 2004, history.nasa.gov/reagan12886.html.

Reagan, Ronald. “President Ronald Reagan Speech at the Brandenburg Gate.” Ronald Reagan

Speech, Tear Down This Wall, Air War College, 2011,

www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/speeches/reagan_berlin.htm.