Rosa Parks, my heroine!

by Perrine Warin from Gondecourt in France

124375Rosaparkshttps://citoyennes.pressbooks.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/36471/2014/12/rosaparks.jpgRosa Parks was an African-American woman. She was born in 1913 and died in 2005. She was an activist in the civil rights movement. She was called "the First Lady of Civil Rights" and "the Mother of the Freedom Movement." Since her childhood, Rosa lived with racism. Things were different for white people and black people. December 1st, 1955 in Montgomery, Alabama: Rosa sat on her seat in the bus after a hard day's work. A white man got on the bus and the bus driver told Rosa and some other African-Americans to stand up. Rosa refused. The bus driver called the police. Rosa didn't move. She was arrested and charged with breaking a segregation law and she had to pay a fine of $10. She refused to pay, she said that she was not guilty and that the law was illegal. She is still a symbol of freedom and equality.

I choose this woman as my heroine because I hate the racism. I don't understand why some people feel superior to black people. I find that our differences have to unite us. My cousin is a black person and when I walk with her in Lille for example or when I take public transport, I see that she still suffers from racism; she suffers racial insults. I think that it is unjust and abnormal in 2018...

That's why I consider Rosa Parks a heroine. She had a lot of courage, and she wanted to defend freedom and equality. She became a symbol to many African-Americans of the fight for equal rights. To conclude, she's a heroine because she did a brave action that few people would dare to do. I admire this woman.