Ruby Bridges

by Jade Ouellet from San Diego, California in United States

132641Ruby BridgesInfrogmation of New Orleans [CC BY-SA 3.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)]African Americans were judged for the way they looked. Imagine a time when you were the only dark-skinned person in a room filled with light-skins screaming hatred upon you, wishing for you to die. Even telling you that you have no place and standards for this world and that you don't belong. Ruby Bridges, a young African American, stumbled upon this problem, facing segregation, wishing to move past her adversity too. Bridges was born in "Tylertown, Mississippi. She was the first of eight children” ("Ruby Nell Bridges) and wished for a great future . At a very young age, Ruby accomplished one of the greatest civil rights lead in history. It was November 14, 1960, when she was escorted from the mobs of people in the all white school. Her adversity with segregation only made her more powerful and fearless for the years to come in her life. She was involved in many civil rights acts, and she created a very famous foundation against racism. Her foundation has millions of followers in support and is still greatly remembered to this day. Ruby’s goodwill and work for African Americans was proven with her courageous acts in the 1960s for all facing unfair judgment. Ruby Bridges, a selfless and confident woman in favor of many represents a true savior, working for the good of society.

Bridges represents a persistent woman willing to make an impact on civil rights for all African Americans. She went through a feeling so strong of racism and judgment at such a young age: “Ruby Bridges was a brave little girl. She faced a very fearsome situation and helped make a big change for the world today. For most kids, the first day of school brings a new classroom and new friends. But on Ruby's first day of school, angry people screamed at her and threw things at her” (“Bridges, Ruby”). On Ruby’s first day of school, she believed it would be a normal day, a day with equality and kindness, until the whites had started a mob against her being there. They screamed at her for being different than the others. Yet she deserves equality just like the others, no matter her race. She stayed strong and continued on her journey, pushing through her fears and pain. Ruby involved herself in many courageous acts: “At the tender age of six, Ruby Bridges advanced the cause of civil rights in November 1960 when she became the first African American student to integrate an elementary school in the South” (Michals). Bridges was one of the few to have a start in the civil rights movement. She was a big part of segregation ending in the 1900s. Although segregation is still seen today, she was a part of the movements that ended almost all of it, and she will never be forgotten for her leadership and persistence. In the end, Ruby’s hard work paid off, and even to this day she is remembered for not giving up and continuing to shine through and move past her adversity as a child.

She does acts for the people, not for herself, showing her goodwill to the public and battling for fair treatment as little girl. Ruby wanted to make an impact on others, so “in 1995 she founded the Ruby Bridges Education Foundation (now the Ruby Bridges Foundation) to promote education and interracial harmony. But even as the years passed and Bridges faded from the public eye, she was not forgotten” ("Ruby Nell Bridges"). Even after Ruby had spots in many civil rights roles, she advanced onto making a foundation to improve and promote education equality to all. Her acts towards the public have made such an impact on society. Ruby at such a young age decided she wanted to make a change for those around her. Ruby worked for the good of the public, not only so she could obtain her rights, but so that everyone could. In the end, she ended with fairness and justice for all segregated African Americans. Even through the adversity of screaming and pain around her, and a feeling of isolation and much more, Ruby has made an impact for all. Ruby has a kind heart, and she was willing to take the lead in civil rights to help others. She made such a big difference for African Americans and will always be remembered for her good deeds and work.     

Ruby Bridges' work for segregated African Americans has inspired others to take the lead in their own personal goals and be persistent and kind. Bridges was a persistent young girl and woman, and she promotes girls and boys today to make a difference. With Ruby’s kind heart, society was influenced and inspired to do acts for everyone, not just themselves. Ruby took the lead and pride and “was one of the first African American children to integrate an elementary school in the Deep South region of the United States” (“Bridges, Ruby”). At the young age of six, Ruby took her part in the role of many civil rights movements. She was the start to segregation in the 1900s ending. She inspires young women to take pride in what they believe and set the standards for who they choose to be. Ruby inspires me to take lead in what I want to do. No matter my age, Bridges taught me to make a change, and do my part for society. She inspires others to do the same by saying, listen to your heart by living life the way you choose. Ruby Bridges continues to inspire society with her brave and courageous acts for civil rights. Living in a time of judgement for race was hard for her at a young age, yet she achieved her greatest goal.

“Bridges, Ruby.” Funk & Wagnalls New World Encyclopedia, Jan. 2018, p. 1; EBSCOhost,

search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=funk&AN=br172950&site=ehost-live.

Michals, Debra.  "Ruby Bridges." National Women's History Museum.  National Women's

History Museum, 2015.  Date accessed. Chicago - Michals, Debra.  "Ruby Bridges." National Women's History Museum." 2015.www.womenshistory.org/education-resources/biographies/ruby-bridges.

Rainsford, Blair. “Ruby the Brave.” Scholastic News -- Edition 2, vol. 74, no. 5, Feb. 2018, p. 1.

EBSCOhost, search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=sch&AN=127531535&site=ehost-live.

"Ruby Nell Bridges" Who's Who Among African Americans, Gale, 2019. Biography In Context,

https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K1645541499/BIC?u=powa9245&sid=BIC&xid=5f02a244. Accessed 25 Mar. 2019.
u can reach your goals with the hard work and time put into them.

https://rubybridgesasingh.weebly.com/ruby-bridges-foundation.html - A foundation created by Ruby Bridges.
https://www.hilbert.edu/social-justice-activists/ruby-bridges - Information about who Ruby was
https://www.nps.gov/people/rubybridges.htm - Some facts and information about Ruby Bridges

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Ruby_Bridges_Hall_standing_microphone.JPG