Ruth Bader Ginsburg Multimedia Resources and Lesson Plan for Teachers

Ruth Bader Ginsburg is an Associate Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court. Ginsburg took the oath of office on August 10, 1993. She is the second female justice of the Supreme Court.

Credit: Supreme Court Public Domain
Students read these hero essays written about Ruth Bader Ginsburg that each won a MY HERO t-shirt prize and then consider the discussion questions and activity.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg

By: Claire

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg's resilience is particularly inspiring to me; she has demonstrated time and again that she will not be stopped by constricting gender roles. 

Ruth Bader Ginsburg

By: Clarissa Hom

During law school, Ginsburg, or RBG, supported both her and her husband Marty’s studies after he was diagnosed with cancer.

Students watch the trailer for RBG, winner of the Special Hero Award at the 2018 MY HERO International Film Festival. Then consider the discussion questions and activity. 

RBG [Trailer]

Betsy West & Julie Cohen

At the age of 84, U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has developed a breathtaking legal legacy while becoming an unexpected pop culture icon.

Discussion Questions

1. Ruth Bader Ginsburg is an advocate for gender equality and women's rights. Do you know someone who is an activist for gender equality and women's rights? Share her or his story with MY HERO?

2. What obstacles did Ruth Bader Ginsburg face becoming a lawyer and Supreme Court Justice? 

3. Do you know someone in your family or community who has overcome obstacles in their life or career? Share his or her story with MY HERO.

4. What are the three branches of the United States government? What is the role of the Supreme Court?

5. Research Supreme Court decisions that have been made since Ruth Bader Ginsburg has been on the Supreme Court. What decision did you find the most interesting, controversial or surprising? Why?  

Learning Outcome

Students will increase their knowledge about the role of the Supreme Court in the government of the United States. Students will develop research and critical thinking skills as they evaluate Supreme Court decisions. Students will improve their writing and communication skills.

Laura Nietzer

The Ruth Bader Ginsburg lesson plan was created by MY HERO Teacher and Learning Circle Director Laura Nietzer.

Related Links and Resources

On the Basis of Sex movie trailer
Credit: Wikipedia
RGB Classroom Discussion Guide and Lesson Plan
Credit: SFFilm
Ruth Bader Ginsburg Bio: Supreme Court History

Learn about a New Hero Every Day of the Year with the MY HERO Calendar 

Students can share their Hero Essays, Films and Art through our Create Program

Organizer created on 7/10/2019 11:03:39 AM by Laura Nietzer

Last edited 11/7/2019 10:26:51 AM by Laura Nietzer