LESSON PLAN

SCHOOL WIDE PROJECTS USING MY HERO for Elementary Students

Promote school community by celebrating the best of humanity with your school community.

OUR HEROES OURSELVES

This unit, written by teacher Billie-Jo Grant, is an All School project.

"As they identified and researched heroes from the nation and world at large, as well as local and regional heroes, students learned to recognize and appreciate “unsung” heroism in themselves, at home, at school, and in their community. The unit is centered on cross-age groupings, and includes online and real-time research, as well as various presentations, including those of outside visitors."

Our Heroes Ourselves Lesson Plan Link

Story, Film and Art: Students' Projects Celebrating Kindness

Call to Action Kindness Project Film Link
Credit: Gillum's Class

Inspire your students by watching this film, Call to Action Kindness Project. This film shows the efforts of students in 6th grade shared ways to be kind with 2nd grade children to promote a more positive culture in their school and community in Ontario, California. 

What can your students do to promote kindness and be a positive role model for younger students? Share your project with MY HERO.

This photo shows kids in 2nd, 4th and 6th grade working on kindness letters as a way to we combat bullying with kindness. The project consisted of the children picking a name of a fellow club member out of a bag and making them an encouraging card. Every child , 80 in total,  participated in making at least one card and receiving one.

Your students are encouraged to work on letters and cards to promote kindness and within their school community. This can be done as a class activity or older students writing cards for younger students.

Boys & Girls Club of Laguna Beach TLC Branch
Credit: Dalene Hamer
Sticky notes promote acts of kindness in schools
Credit: Students at Dixie Bee Elementary School

Students at Dixie Bee Elementary School in Terre Haute, Ind., post positive messages about fellow classmates and the school's staff. SPPRAK, Special People Performing Random Acts of Kindness, a local not-for-profit, sponsored this program that literally 'notes' random acts of kindness by students, teachers, and staff.

Submit your students projects using the MY HERO Create Program

Organizer created on 7/3/2020 1:23:27 PM by Laura Nietzer

Last edited 3/14/2023 11:27:39 AM by Laura Nietzer