MY HERO

REPRINTED WITH PERMISSION FROM THE CHRISTIAN SCIENCE MONITOR

Serena Williams serves up a lesson on longevity for mature athletes

by Joceyn Noveck, Associated Press from NEW YORK

In a surprise upset this week, Serena Williams defeated the world’s second-ranked player and advanced to the third round of the U.S. Open, inspiring legions of older tennis fans. They say her success sends a message that they, too, can perform better and longer.

149172Billie Jean King (left) congratulates Serena Williams after she defeated Danka Kovinic during the first round of the U.S. Open tennis tournament, Aug. 29, 2022, in New York. Ms. King said Ms. Williams gives older fans and players hope and “a pep in their step.” John Minchillo, AP

September 2, 2022

Imagine if they could bottle a potion called “Just Serena.”

That was Serena Williams’ succinct, smiling explanation for how she’d managed – at nearly 41, and match-rusty – to defeat the world’s second-ranked player and advance Wednesday to the third round of a U.S. Open that so far, doesn’t feel much like a farewell. “I’m just Serena,” she said, to roaring fans.

Clearly there’s only one Serena. But as superhuman as many found her achievement, some older fans in particular – middle-aged, or beyond – said they saw in Ms. Williams’ latest run a very human and relatable takeaway, too. Namely the idea that they, also, could perform better and longer than they once thought possible – through fitness, practice, and grit.

“It makes me feel good about what I’m doing still at my age,” said Bess Brodsky Goldstein, 63, a lifelong tennis enthusiast who was attending the Open on Thursday, the day after Ms. Williams’ triumph over 26-year-old Anett Kontaveit.

Ms. Goldstein pursues her passion for the sport more vigorously than most women her age. She plays several times a week and participates in an age 55-and-up USTA mixed-doubles league in New England. (She also plays competitive golf.)