Simone Biles

by Maisy Latus from West Henrietta, New York in United States

138079Biles at 2016 Olympics https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Simone_Biles_at_the_2016_Olympics_all-around_gold_medal_podium_(28262782114).jpgClick to view Getting Gold

“A hero is someone who, in spite of weakness, doubt or not always knowing the answers, goes ahead and overcomes anyway” (Christopher Reeve). If you ask 100 people what a hero is to them, chances are you won’t get the same answer twice. To me, a hero is someone that decides to stay positive despite the struggles they have faced in their lives. They also look out for others and impact the world in a positive way. These traits can be seen in Simone Biles. 

Simone Biles is the most decorated gymnast in the world and she has won 27 gold medals. Although Biles is successful, she has also definitely had her fair share of trauma. Growing up, Biles was put in foster care with her younger sister Adria because their mother struggled with substance abuse. For three years they bounced around different foster homes until their grandfather made the decision to adopt both Simone and Adria. After adoption the family moved from Ohio to Texas to restart their lives. 

One day Simone went on a field trip with her daycare to a gymnastics center. “While there I imitated the other gymnasts, and Coach Ronnie noticed. The gym sent home a letter requesting that I join tumbling or gymnastics.” After this, she took up the sport and started her elite career at the American Classic in Houston. She was just 14 and placed third all around. At 19 she went to her first Olympics and won four gold medals and a bronze medal. When asked how she is successful, Biles says it's a mix of talent, hard work, and taking opportunities when they are given. 

138080Biles and Raisman at 2016 Olympics https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Raisman_and_Biles.jpgWhile growing up she had issues with her body image. Kids would bully her because of how big her arms were. One of the names they used to call her was “swolder." Simone started to cover her arms and wore long sleeves and sweaters all year round. Being more exposed to talented young gymnasts and working with Aly Raisman helped to raise her self-confidence and love her body. I wish I could tell my younger self to be positive about my body, because when you learn to love your body, you learn to fall in love with yourself. Biles has since started to love herself and show off her big arms. She now feels gorgeous being able to wear tank tops and sleeveless dresses.  

One of the biggest challenges Simone has had to face was with her team doctor Larry Nassar. Over 140 female athletes have reported abuse by Nassar. Many people have also said that USA Gymnastics has tried to silence them and cover it up. It has been said that the USA Gymnastics has paid people to quiet them about the situation. Simone has said that she was reluctant to speak out about the sexual abuse because for a long time she questioned if it was her fault. She would ask herself if she was “too naive.” Simone has also expressed how hard it has been being hurt by someone they were told they could trust. This makes people in the future hard to trust. It is also hard to have to return to the same training facility at which she was abused. 

138082Biles at 2016 Olympics https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Simone_Biles_Rio_2016e.jpgRecently Biles has also had to deal with her brother Tevin being charged with a triple killing. Three men ages 19 to 23 were shot and killed after a fight in Ohio on New Years Eve. Two other men were also shot but survived. Biles-Thomeas was then arrested in Georgia with charges of murder, voluntary manslaughter, felonious assault and perjury. After the incident Simone reached out on Twitter to say, "There is nothing that I can say that will heal anyone's pain, but I do want to express my sincere condolences to everyone affected by this terrible tragedy.” The trial for this case started on January 13th. 

With everything that Simone has gone through in her life, she still makes sure she has a smile on her face and works really had to be the best gymnast he can be. Biles has also been a huge advocate for children in foster care and has been a partner with Mattress Firm Foster Kids. This program has helped to give foster kids over 600,00 items like clothes and school supplies. Biles tries to go to as many Mattress Firm Foster Kids events as she can, saying, “I’m just hoping it can inspire other foster kids to never give up and to always pursue your dreams. And to play sports and get good sleep!”