Sojourner Truth

by Libby Schwalbach from Lafayette, Colorado in United States

Sojourner Truth, A Woman Of Equality

Sojourner Truth was an abolitionist and women's rights activist. She stood up for equality between all races and genders. She is well known for her speech about racial inequalities, "Ain't I a Woman?" that was delivered in 1851, at the Ohio Women's Rights Convention. She accomplished so many things in her life and made a huge difference in our world. She greatly impacted the world for the better and for that I'm truly grateful. I think everyone could strive to be like Sojourner Truth to help make sure that everyone is treated as equals.

Truth’s family was owned by Colonel Hardenbergh, they all lived at the colonel's estate in Esopus, New York, as slaves. She was later sold at an auction along with a flock of sheep for $100. Her new owner that bought her was a harsh and violent man named John Neely. Truth was sold two more times after that, eventually coming to reside on the property of John Dumont at West Park, New York. In 1826, she escaped to freedom with her infant daughter, Sophia. Her other children (daughter and son of John Dumont, her husband) stayed behind. After she escaped, she heard that her son Peter, who was only 5 years old, was illegally sold to a man in Alabama. She took the issue to court and eventually secured Peter's return from the South. This became one of the first cases where a black woman challenged a white man in a United States court, and won.

Truth devoted her life to the abolitionist cause. In 1850, she spoke at the first National Woman's Rights Convention in Massachusetts. She toured regularly with abolitionist George Thompson, and spoke to many large crowds about slavery and human rights. The abolitionist movement took off and Truth got increasingly larger. She was one of the escaped slaves, along with Douglass and Harriet Tubman, to rise to prominence as an abolitionist leader. In 1851, Truth had an improvised speech at the Ohio Women's Rights Convention that is now known as "Ain't I a Woman?" The speech was published a little later by the editor of Ohio newspaper “The Anti-Slavery Bugle,” Marius Robinson. He had attended the convention and recorded Truth's speech himself. 

Truth put her growing reputation as an abolitionist to work during the Civil War, helping to recruit black troops for the Union Army. In 1864, Truth was called to Washington, D.C., to contribute to the National Freedman's Relief Association. On at least one occasion, Truth met and spoke with President Abraham Lincoln about her beliefs and her experience. True to her broad reform ideals, Truth continued to agitate for change even after Lincoln issued his Emancipation Proclamation. In 1865, Truth attempted to force the desegregation of streetcars in Washington by riding in cars designated for whites. Truth continued to speak passionately on the subjects of women's rights, universal suffrage and prison reform.

Sojourner Truth has achieved amazing accomplishments that have positively impacted so many people. She stood up for equality, and inspired others to treat everyone equally. She is my hero because she made a huge step towards ending racism and sexism, which has made our world a better place to live in, although, we can go further in achieving equality for everyone. By inspiring others we can make a change in the world to treat everyone right. Sojourner Truth inspired others to change their ways, and I think we should all follow her footsteps.

138820Sojourner TruthLibby Schwalbach