Spencer Stone / 554 Passengers. 1 Gunman. 3 Heroes.

by Brooke Fernandez from San Diego, CA

123829After the attackhttps://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/french-train-attack/three-americans-hailed-heroes-stopping-train-attack-n414206Every day millions of people wake up in the morning without a doubt in mind that there is a possibility that they may lose their loved ones. On the 15:19 train to Paris, where an attempted terrorist attack occurred, the 554 passengers on board did not expect to lose their friends, family, or even their own life. The passengers believed this until airman Spencer Stone and two others stepped into action. Stone has always been fond with the idea of helping others and making a difference. His dream was to become a paramedic.  However, on August 15, 2015, he was able to accomplish his ultimate goal of saving others despite his physical disabilities. Spencer risked his life on multiple occasions to save just over 550 people. Stone’s courageous actions affected these people immensely including himself. His determination and selflessness helped him become a hero to many.

While airman Stone was faced with the difficult situation on the train to Paris, his determination stood out above others which helped carry him to perform his dream: saving others.  His determination was the explanation for making his heroic moves. “I am not going to die sitting down” (Sadler 76). After Stone’s first encounter with a similar situation in Fort Sam two years ago, he made a promise to himself to take a stand against the bad guy and not die a bystander. Keeping his promise, Stone’s commitment helped drive him to perform the heroic act.   Without this determination, Stone may not have been able to build up his courage and save the other 553 passengers aboard the train. “Airman Stone dived to tackle Mr. Khazzani, hit him in the torso and then fell on top of him... Airman Stone put Mr. Khazzani into a chokehold, but still he fought back. Specialist Skarlatos got the rifle away from him, but Mr. Khazzani pulled out a handgun, cocked it, and pointed it at close range at Airman Stone. It clicked, but did not go off. Specialist Skarlatos pried the gun away...” (Helene). Even though Mr. Khazzani pointed two guns at Stone and sliced his finger and head severely, Stone still fought back. He was dedicated to protecting the passengers. Most people get discouraged when they are suffering from a severe injury, but not Airman Stone. Determination is the backbone to any hero which made it possible for Airman Stone to save the hundreds of people.

123830Airman Spencer Stonehttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spencer_StoneStone doesn't only dedicate himself to saving others, but also putting others in front of himself. When the gunman started to attack, Stone’s first thought was for the benefit of the other passengers. “...maybe I will delay him enough for others…” (Sadler 84). At this time Stone was not thinking of what spot had the most protection. He was meticulously thinking of a plan to impede Mr. Khazzani. In these situations, one might think of hiding under the table or shielding themselves with a backpack, but not Stone. This thought difference defined him as a hero over others. “Among the 554 passengers, only two were injured by the gunman: Stone and Mooligan”(Worthan). Stone put his own life on the line for 553 strangers, two of which are his friends. From stepping in front of a gun to acting as a medic taking care of someone else’s health before his, Stone never gave up on fighting for other’s lives, including his own.

If it weren’t for Stone, hundreds of lives would have been lost. Stone selflessly decided not to be a bystander and was determined to help others. “If he ever found himself in this situation again, he decided, he wouldn’t be found under the furniture. If he died, he’d at least die being useful” (Sadler 25). He decided to grow from his first experience by promising himself to take action next time he was found in a similar situation. He was dedicated into helping others and not being a bystander. Being a bystander is almost as worse as being the attacker and Spencer did not want to find himself in that position again.  Spencer’s dream was to become part Pararescue to pick up a man in his most crucial moments and save them. Unable to accomplish this because of disabilities, he decided to follow a similar path. Even when he could not accomplish his goal of being a part of Pararescue, he was able to work around it and still accomplish his ultimate dream: saving others. Now, everyday those 554 passengers wake up differently. They wake up thankful for their friends and family in their life for they never know how lucky or unlucky they will be next time.