The MY HERO Project | Library

Splendid Solution: Jonas Salk and the Conquest of Polio

By Jeffrey Kluger

Publisher: Penguin Group (USA), February 2006
ISBN: 0425205703
MY HERO recommends this book to adult readers.
FROM THE PUBLISHER
Jonas Salk was born shortly before one of the worst polio epidemics in United States history.

In medical school when Franklin Delano Roosevelt was diagnosed with the disease shortly before assuming the Presidency, Salk was given an impetus to conduct studies on polio. His progress in combating the virus was hindered by the politics of medicine and by a rival researcher determined to discredit his proposed solution. But Salk's perseverance made history-and for more than fifty years his vaccine has saved countless lives, bringing humanity close to eradicating polio throughout the world.

Splendid Solution chronicles Dr. Salk's race against time-and a growing epidemic that reached 57,000 reported cases in the summer of 1952-to achieve an unparalleled medical breakthrough that made him a cultural hero and icon for a whole generation.

User Reviews:
jonnah | 9/9/2008 12:20 AM
its great!!!  :) i love it!!!
James Albert DeAnda | 3/28/2008 12:20 PM
I've been researching him and its very cool  
Stefanie | 4/10/2006 3:05 AM
HI!I think that it is great how you prevented kids like me from having polio. It must have taken alot of smarts to do something like that. You really were a life saver for every one, adults and children. I also think that it is really magnificent how you graduated from highschool at age nineteen! Wowie!

Write your comments
  • Only registered users can write reviews