Stan Lee

by Lucas B from California in United States

133816Stan Leehttps://www.cheatsheet.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/stan-lee-peace-1024x681.jpg“Eight-year-old Marvel readers wanted to be Spider-Man. 16-year-old Marvel readers wanted to be the guy drawing Spider-Man. Lee found a way to wink at readers that never felt like he was making fun of any potential serious devotion to the narratives,” (Tom Spurgeon) Stan Lee is a creative genius who created iconic superheroes that would one day be put on big screens all over the world with million of people staying tuned in for the next movie year after year. He was an American comic book writer and was the executive vice president/publisher of Marvel Comics. His parents, Celia (Solomon) and Jack Lieber gave birth to Stan Lee in New York. He was married to Joan Lee for about 70 years until she passed away, leaving Stan and her two children behind. She passed away on July 6th, 2017 and Stan Lee passed on November 12th, 2018 in LA. Stan Lee is a hero and inspires people every day to do more and created Marvel as we know it today. Through his ideas and stories in his comic books, Stan Lee inspired creativity with writers and artists though his comics and he kept creating more comic books year after year that would eventually create Marvel Comics into what it is today.

133817Stan Lee Awardhttps://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Stan_Lee#/media/File:Stan_Lee_(5774466204).jpgStan Lee is an important figure that millions of people look up to every day that want to be just like him. He inspires creativity like no other person. You know who made 100+ superheroes in comics, year after year that inspires people to this day to keep pursuing their dreams, so they can one day achieve what they want? Stan Lee.  “He is credited as creating the Marvel Comics characters in the 1960s which introduced more complex characterizations for super-heroes. He also is credited for popularizing continuity to give the various series a sense of narrative flow and an interrelated common world for the characters. However, since the "plot first" writing method he used meant that the artists he collaborated with, especially Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko, served as essentially co-writers, the matter who truly deserves the credit for the creations from such collaborations is a matter of vigorous debate,” (Borges). Stan Lee had a passion for creating interesting stories that would be unpredictable. He didn’t do just that, he did more than that.  He revolutionized the comic book industry, continuously making more stories about heroes we could all relate to, with powers or not. He inspires people to do more every day. Stan Lee created dozens of superheroes that had their own weaknesses that most of us could relate to in our lives at one point. “Those characters, including the Incredible Hulk, the Fantastic Four, and Spider-Man, spawned several television series and in the 2000s, an impressive series of hit feature films. Lee's creations were prominent in the American imagination, and not only among the young people whose preferences Lee read so clearly as a writer and editor,” (Encyclopedia). Stan Lee created a variety of superheroes with unique stories that come from different cultural backgrounds and stories. They often cover an assortment of problems that we face in the world today as a society that we can all relate to on a personal level, and watching them save the day, or solve some of those problems, inspires people to attempt to fix it in our world today. Not only Stan Lee, but also his creations is something that a lot of people look up to. Stan Lee inspired and will continue to inspire creativity through all of us that look up to him every day, even after his passing.

Stan Lee isn’t the only person that inspires creators to create and dreamers to keep dreaming. He is credited for starting Marvel Comics and along with it dozens of superhero characters that were made into a universe together. “Stan Lee is the cocreator of many of Marvel Comic's most popular superheroes, including Spider-Man, the Hulk, Daredevil, the X-Men, Iron Man, and the Fantastic Four. "Lee's metamorphosis from bespectacled kid in the Bronx to living symbol of a billion-dollar entertainment empire is every bit as impressive as any superhero origin story," wrote L.D. Meagher on the CNN website,” (Contemporary Authors). Stan Lee knew that if he kept trying, kept pursuing, and kept publishing more comics, then one day it would pay off. And it did, with Marvel creating the Marvel Cinematic Universe that brought all of his heroes from paper on to the big screen in movie theaters all around the world. Stan Lee is an important figure in our world that brought the wonderful world of the Marvel Universe to life. Indeed, “Lee's passing serves as a reminder of "the Marvel age of comics"--Lee's own term for the 1960s, when innovative, wildly popular Marvel comics, including the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, and Thor, were first released. His death also shows his lasting influence on the Marvel brand at a time when the North American comics marketplace is once again going through a period of creative change and consumer transformation,” (Enduring Legacy). Stan Lee was an extraordinary person. He influences Marvel so much that he gets his own cameo in every movie. It wouldn’t have even existed today without him imagining these amazing characters that we all look up to. Stan Lee made so many stories that we can all not only be entertained and learned from, but also incorporates characters from different backgrounds and types of life who face different problems from our era here in 2019.

Stan Lee inspired creativity with writers and artists through his ideas and stories in his comic books year after year that would eventually create Marvel Comics into what it is today. Stan Lee was, and is so many things. He always wanted to do more than he always did. Go beyond what he wanted to do, wanted to keep doing more. He’s created over a hundred unique stories about different characters that face problems similar to our world that influences us to do the right thing and fight for change. Doing so has also made the Marvel Cinematic Universe, where his comic books have come to life on the movie screen with amazing effects and storyline with movies still being made. He inspires me to keep trying, no matter what I’m doing. His passion for his hobby and the amount of work he put into it paid off in the end, and it always will if you don’t slack off. Stan Lee created and did so many things, and lived life to the fullest until he passed away at age 95. So many people look up to him and he’s a national inspiration. He is a legend and will be remembered forever.

Works Consulted

Borges, Pedro. “Stan Lee.” IMDb, IMDb.com, 2018, www.imdb.com/name/nm0498278/bio.

"Stan Lee." Contemporary Authors Online, Gale, 2018. Biography In Context, https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/H1000058510/BIC?u=powa9245&sid=BIC&xid=28e8fd55. Accessed 1 May 2019.

"Stan Lee." Encyclopedia of World Biography Online, vol. 30, Gale, 2010. Biography In Context,

https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K1631009446/BIC?u=powa9245&sid=BIC&xid=e5a2f0a2. Accessed 6 May 2019.

Reid, Calvin. "Stan Lee's Enduring Legacy At Marvel Comics." Publishers Weekly, 3 Dec. 2018,

p. 8+. Biography in Context,

https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/A565609714/GPS?u=powa9245&sid=GPS&xid=df

c525a. Accessed 6 May 2019.