Stephen Hawking

by Michael Chen from San Diego, California in United States

Exploring the Universe from a Wheelchair

130950Stephen HawkingBy NASA - Original. Source (StarChild Learning Center). Directory listing., Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=1657641“I think origin stories show us not how to become super but how to be heroes, choosing altruism over the pursuit of wealth and power” (Rosenberg 2013). According to psychologist Robin Rosenberg, there are three life-changing elements in superhero stories: trauma, destiny, and chance. However, a hero’s journey is not about being better than “normal” people, but about humility and heroic choices. A hero prioritizes other people's welfare above his own and does not stop working toward his goal until it is thoroughly completed. He does not give up when faced with a tough challenge that looks like the road’s ending but instead continues and carves a new one. A hero devotes his life to his goals and does not stop at anything to accomplish what he was meant to do. He stops and reflects on his past in order to become an inspiration for others because a hero is not someone who is afraid to change, but embraces it as a gift. A hero does not let his challenges define his identity, understanding that recognition is not what he is aiming for. Instead of letting his hardships take over him, he pushes harder and harder to spread knowledge throughout the world using his humility, abilities, and influence to shape a better society.

First, Stephen Hawking, a distinguished physicist, faced extreme challenges throughout his life, yet they never stopped him from his efforts of trying to change the world for the better. The well-known scientist, researcher, and theorist of black holes and quantum physics was born on January 8, 1942. Hawking enrolled at Oxford University at the age of 17, where he studied mathematics and physics. Later, he continued on to Cambridge University but was soon diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), more commonly known as Lou Gehrig's disease. Hawking was told he had two years to live, and it seemed like his career in physics was ending just as fast as it began. Nonetheless, Hawking continued to work towards his goals despite the possibility that he would not be able to finish and graduated with a Ph.D. A few years later, he introduced multiple theories on the structure of the universe, changing the antecedent perceptions of the cosmos. A hero must possess humility and influential traits to inspire others, and Stephen Hawking is an embodiment of that. Instead of letting his disability stop him from achieving his goals, he made unprecedented scientific discoveries despite using his influence to promote science and understanding - and because - of his challenges while staying humble. Furthermore, Hawking’s humility meant that he focused more on what people did rather than what they had to overcome. Rather than accepting the accolades that followed him, Hawking did not want others to think of him as courageous just because of his disability, but because of his actions as a person: “Hawking has repeatedly said that pronouncements of his great courage as a disabled person are embarrassing. He countered that ‘I have only done what I intended to do anyway before I had ALS. I think people with real courage are those worse affected but who don’t get public attention or sympathy. Yet they don’t complain’” (Larsen 130). Hawking’s embarrassment at being labeled as courageous shows how unimportant reputation and ego was to him. He did not want any attention or pity because of his condition and refused to be defined by his condition; instead, becoming a distinguished scientist based on what he did, not what happened to him. Most people would boast and flaunt their accomplishments because of their handicap, but Hawking recognized the people who remained silent about their problems, and instead work toward their goal. Hawking valued attention based on what someone did regardless of the severity of a problem. After being diagnosed with ALS, Hawking didn’t stop and continued to change the world from his wheelchair: “Hawking claimed that rather than hampering his progress, his disabilities had actually "helped [him] in a way by shielding [him] from lecturing and administrative work" With his physical powers reduced to the use of three fingers and his speech unintelligible to most listeners, Hawking still embarked on what would prove a brilliant career” (Newsmakers 8). To Hawking, his diagnosis did not affect his outlook on life, as he still stepped forward, and created a beautiful career in science while battling a deadly disease, without asking for fame or recognition. Not allowing his body to stop him from accomplishing his goals, he let his mind search the universe for new theories that would change the world. The detrimental effects of Hawking’s illness had on his body displayed his determination to continue his dream. Having around-the-clock care after he had once been able to do so many things on his own, brings a strong-minded being down. However, compared to others who’ve been diagnosed with the same disease, Hawking expressed himself as unwilling to give up, embracing his condition as nothing but a blessing. Having such views is key to a hero’s success, for, without the will to continue, Hawking wouldn't be such an inspiration for young scholars around the world. The importance of Hawking’s humbleness is how he was totally invested in his work for the work’s sake, expanding his wisdom throughout the cosmos and spending all his “extra” time advancing human knowledge about the universe.

130952Stephen HawkingBy Flickr user rubberpaw. - https://www.flickr.com/photos/natematias/2870857869/sizes/o/, CC BY-SA 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=4847221Hawking also demonstrated heroism and made it a better place with his inspiration by using his influence to change not only the scientific community but also the world. After his several discoveries in physics, Hawking greatly impacted the scientific world: “The startling discovery that black holes should radiate came near Christmas. ‘Hawking radiation’ was officially announced in February” (Larsen 131). Introducing theories of how the universe functions, Hawking drastically changed the views of many scientists and taught thousands of things they never would have known. He led the search for more deep unsolved questions and transformed the scientific community. Hawking having radiation named after him represents how he is able to alter the world of physics with just his discoveries alone. Not only did Stephen Hawking make discoveries in black holes he has also made leaps in quantum physics, cosmology, and general relativity despite his lack of physical ability. These discoveries greatly impacted the world in bringing advancements to science, fulfilling knowledge that was otherwise unknown. Hawking also claimed ownership of a powerful position in Cambridge in 1979: “At the age of 37, he became the Lucasian professor of mathematics, a title that was held in the 17th century by Sir Isaac Newton, the father of physics. All of those who take teaching positions at the university are required to sign this book. Hawking did so with great difficulty. It was the last time he would sign his name” (CBS 2003). His election to such a distinguished position shows the level of influence his discoveries had in science, mathematics, physics and many other fields. But it also shows his willingness to use the limited physical strength he had for the benefit of students and the wider scientific community. This further improves society as a whole, inspiring students and fellow scientists alike. Proving that not only could you accomplish your goals while hindered by challenges, one can also help do so for others. Hawking is not only a hero, but a leader, inspiration, and mentor.

130953Stephen Hawking in Zero GravityBy Jim Campbell/Aero-News Network - https://www.flickr.com/photos/39735679@N00/475109138/ / http://mediaarchive.ksc.nasa.gov/detail.cfm?mediaid=31873, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=3655144Stephen Hawking deserves the title of a hero because, though he was a “Superman” in the science world, he had a greater purpose to fulfill and did not ask for recognition and fame, despite accomplishing incredible feats while dealing with such a debilitating condition. Instead of focusing on what he could have accomplished without ALS, Hawking focused on what he can do with it. Hawking may have been able to receive more awards if ALS did not alter his life, or he might have introduced more theories, but Hawking did not concentrate on this. Instead, he achieved what he could, trapped in a body of no function, Hawking defied what doctors had told him years earlier, continuing on to earn a Ph.D., become a Lucasian Professor, and receive hundreds of awards for his contributions to cosmology and mathematics. Parallel to Rosenberg’s three-part path of a hero, Hawking’s unexpected diagnosis seemed like a life-altering setback, yet by the destiny and sheer chance of his condition and abilities, he was able to use this derailment as the opportunity to switch tracks. He saw the “extra” time life granted him as a gift, and maybe that was one of the secrets of his success. Hawking inspires me because he proves that you can do almost anything if you put your heart and soul into it. He also proved that there is really no excuse for not reaching your full potential. This motivates and inspires me to work harder and prove to myself that things I thought were impossible can surely be done if I dedicate myself to it. For example, when I was preparing to join the Track & Field team at Del Norte, I doubted myself thinking I would not even be able to do much, and might even quit early. However, I remembered that Stephen Hawking accomplished things the normal person could not do while coping with a detrimental condition. I realized that no matter how bad things may look if one works toward a goal, they will achieve it as long as they remain humble and dedicated. Rosenberg stated that: “the origin stories of superheroes are often spawned from traumatic experiences” (Rogers 2018), Stephen Hawking is a perfect example of this principle in real life. While individuals can obviously possess qualities such as humility and determination, what sets a hero apart is how he uses his influence to inspire others to change the world around him. While many allow easier circumstances to stop them from overcoming their challenges, a true hero uses his problems to move forward and fulfill his true potential. If we look at Batman and Spider-Man, neither would have risen to hero status without the trauma they went through. So the hero archetype actually requires trauma and challenge in order to grow and reach maximum potential. Like Spider-Man using his power for his own purposes before his tragedy, Hawking was not really living up to his capabilities before his diagnosis, he was not trying very hard in school, wasting his incredible potential. When something disrupts our world, it’s a chance to stop and reevaluate our life path. However, many people try to run from or deny what has happened. Hawking had a valid reason to give up and give in to his dreams. But, he used his diagnosis as an opportunity to reflect and change, further qualifying him as a hero because a real hero is not too afraid or proud to change. In this way, a hero is someone who twists what “fate” throws at him to his own advantage and therefore is able to fulfill his life’s true mission.

Work Cited
Bradley, Ed, et al. “Stephen Hawking: The 60 Minutes Interview.” CBS News, CBS Interactive,
2003, www.cbsnews.com/news/stephen-hawking-the-60-minutes-interview/.
Larsen, Kristine. Stephen Hawking: a Biography. Jaico Publishing House, 2012.
Rogers, Vaneta. “Examining Trauma & HEROES IN CRISIS: How Superheroes Deal With
Trauma.” Newsarama, 24 Sept. 2018, 3:30pm, www.newsarama.com/41965-examining-trauma-heroes-in-crisis-how-superheroes-deal-with-trauma.html.
"Stephen Hawking." Newsmakers, Gale, 1990. Biography In Context,
https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K1618002264/BIC?u=powa9245&sid=BIC&xid=ab0a1033. Accessed 19 Dec. 2018.
"Stephen Hawking." World of Physics, Gale, 2006. Biography In Context,
https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K2434100104/BIC?u=powa9245&sid=BIC&xid=17a40d5c. Accessed 21 Dec. 2018.

Stephen Hawking dies at 76 - NYTimes writes about Stephen Hawking's death and life story.
How Stephen Hawking survived so long - Time explains how Stephen Hawking lived so long with ALS, a very harsh disease.