Stephen Edwin King

by Glen

Stephen King has written dozens of books, and novels. He has written even more short stories. Stephen has three children: Naomi Rachel, Joe Hill and Owen Phillip, and three grandchildren. Stephen is of Scots-Irish ancestry, stands 6'4". He has worn glasses since he was a child. Stephen King was born in Maine, 1947, the second son of Donald and Nellie Ruth Pillsbury King. Stephen and his older brother David were raised by their mother after they got divorced. Stephen spent parts of his childhood in Indiana were his father’s family was living. He came back to live with his mom for good when her parents became too old to take care of themselves. After his grandparents passed away, his mom found work in the kitchens of Pineland, a facility for the mentally challenged.

Stephen went to a grammar school and then Lisbon Falls High School, graduating in 1966. Almost every week from Stephen’s sophomore year at the University of Maine at Orono, he wrote a column for the school newspaper, THE MAINE CAMPUS. He graduated qualified to teach high school level. He met his future wife Tabitha in the stacks of the Fogler Library in the University of Maine located at Orono, where they worked as students. They got married in January of 1971. Stephen wrote his first short story ("The Glass Floor") in 1967. He continued selling stories to men's magazines throughout the early years of his marriage. Later he gathered these short stories to make books like the Night Shift. Stephen began teaching high school English classes at Hampden Academy in 1971. He used used his spare time on writing short stories and novels.

In 1973, Doubleday & Co. published his novel Carrie. That same year, Stephen’s editor Bill Thompson, informed Stephen that a major book sale would give him enough money to quit teaching. In late 1973, Stephen’s mothers health became bad so the Kings moved to southern Maine. Stephen finished writing Carrie in a small room in the garage of the summer home they rented. His mother died of cancer, at the age of 59. Carrie was published early, 1974. Afterwards the Kings left Maine and headed for Colorado. They lived there less than a year, during this short period of time Stephen wrote The Shining, which was set in Colorado. They returned to live in Maine in 1975, they bought a home in the western half Maine. There Stephen finished his next The Stand, which is set in Boulder. His book the Dead Zone was written in Bridgeton. Stephen and Tabitha provide scholarships for local high school students and contribute to many other local and national charities

In 1982 Stephan wrote The Gunslinger the first book of a seven book series that would take him twenty-four years to finish. He decided to finish the series after getting hit by a car. It was Saturday June 19 Stephen had been walking home when Brian Smith lost control of his car and hit Stephen from behind. He was taken to a hospital by helicopter. After undergoing five surgeries he returned home in July 1999. The only request that Stephan had was that Brian Smith’s licenses be revoked permanently. Stephan is back to good health and living out his life. Stephen and Tabitha provide scholarships for local high school students and contribute to many other local and national charities