Spring 2020 Stories from Fredericksburg Academy

The following hero essays were written by high school students from Fredericksburg Academy in Virginia.

Abigail Adams

By: Nashua Haque

First Lady Abigail Adams effectively led the country while President John Adams was an envoy in France.

Ron Kovic: A Hero to the Voice of Peace

By: Sophia DelaRosa

Ron Kovic is a Vietnam veteran who became a peace activist and the author of "Born on the Fourth of July."

Commissioner James "Jim" Gordon

By: Patrick Brantley

James Gordon is a police captain of the fictional city of Gotham in the DC comics universe.

Lovey the Lovebird

By: Marcus Fennema

Marcus, who has autism and ADHD, learned social skills from his steady companion Lovey the Lovebird.

Alex Morgan

By: Gracie Norair

Alex Morgan is a professional American soccer player for the Orlando Pride.

Elizabeth Blackwell

By: Victoria Davis
Hero Elizabeth Blackwell was the first woman in the United States to receive a degree as a doctor, and started a women's medical college for women.

Princess Leia Skywalker Organa Solo

By: Layne Barber

Princess Leia is a fictional character in Star Wars and Luke Skywalker's twin sister.

Malala Yousafzai

By: Anne Flythe

Malala Yousafzai, the youngest Nobel Prize laureate in history, is a Pakistani activist for gender equality and education.

Mansour Azimipour

By: Sara Azimipour

Sara Azimipour's hero is her father, Mansour Azimipour, who began making money for his family in Iran at age 9.

Manute Bol

By: Shea Laursen

Manute Bol was a professional basketball player who gave back to his home country of Sudan.

Arthur Ashe: A Hero Who Left a Mark in History

By: Owen J. Geddes

Arthur Ashe was the first black tennis player of the United States Davis Cup and the only black man to win Wimbledon, the US Open, and the Australian Open.

Walt Disney

By: Shane Simes

Walt Disney was a pioneer in American animation.

Kathryn Sullivan

By: Alicen

Katherine Sullivan is a former NASA astronaut and the first woman to walk in space.

George Washington

By: Madison Charles

George Washington is a Founding Father of the United States and the country's first president.

Dave Sanders

By: Allison Barber

Dave Sanders was a computer and business teacher who lost his life in the Columbine High School massacre while saving a large number of students.

Elizabeth Stanton
By: Sheridan Simes

Elizabeth Stanton was a pioneering activist in the women's rights movement in the U.S.

How One Environmentalist Changed Our World: Jane Goodall
By: Saba Azimipour

Jane Goodall is a leading anthropologist and primatologist who has studied chimpanzees in Gombe for half a centurty.

Master Sergeant Roy Benavidez

By: Devin Jackson

MSG Benavidez bravely rescued fellow soldiers in Vietnam even while being continuously injured himself.

Scott Askeland
By: Angel Askeland

Scott Askeland, a U.S. Marine who battled a brain tumor, is a hero to his child Angel.

Bethany Hamilton

By: Isabelle Larimore

Bethany Hamilton is a professional surfer and motivational speaker who lost her arm to a shark attack when she was 15 years old.

Related Page

Using MY HERO in the Classroom - the MY HERO Teacher Training Video

Produced by:MY HERO
Visit with Mrs. Susanne Nobles and students in her English Class at Fredericksburg Academy.

Organizer created on 2/23/2020 1:18:53 AM by Shannon Luders-Manuel

Last edited 3/12/2020 5:12:38 AM by Shannon Luders-Manuel