Stu News Laguna - Barbara's Column - Local heroes honored

by By BARBARA DIAMOND from Stu News Laguna

127137Stu News LagunaStu News

JUNE 7, 2018 LAGUNA BEACH, CA - Laguna doesn’t have to look very far to find heroes. They live next door, teach our children, tend to our illnesses, care for our environment, protect us from harm and create beauty. 

A batch of local heroes was honored at the 11th Annual HERO FEST, held June 2 at the Festival Forum Theatre. Wendy Milette, director of film festivals and media arts for the MY HERO project, emceed the presentation of awards.

Laguna Beach clinical psychologist Judith Anderson was presented with the Community Hero Award for her many contributions to families in the community. 

127133Judy Anderson received the Community Hero AwardPhoto by Annabelle Vo, My HERO

Jeanne Meyer, co-founder and director of MY HERO, was not feeling up to par Saturday night, but had previously expressed her admiration for Anderson. 

“I am grateful for her leadership with the PTA in Laguna Beach, bringing together parents and leaders in the field of education and parenting to help guide and nurture our community with the launch of Coffee Break for parent education and communication,” said Meyer.

Anderson, a founding board member of MY HERO, specializes in couples and family therapy. She is recognized as an expert in the areas of blended families, divorce, and remarriage. She teaches at the UC Irvine College of Medicine and is the founder of the nonprofit Foundation for the Contemporary Family. 

Anderson supports MY HERO Project’s use of heroism as a teaching tool and helped launch the group’s Teacher’s Room, which is now used in classrooms throughout the world. 

“People don’t realize that MY HERO is a home-grown program, which has evolved into a global program,” said Anderson.

Home Grown Heroes honored

The Ocean Segment of the awards was introduced by 14-year-old Whitney Winefordnersinging her own composition, “My Blue Heart.” Additional writers Janet Bartucciotto and Emily Morris were also credited. 

Winefordner was accompanied by pianist Larsen McCarroll, Laguna Beach High School water polo star. Mom Lisa McCarroll was in the audience. 

127134Whitney Winefordner (14) sings “My Blue Heart”Photo by Annabelle Vo, My HERO

On behalf of MacGillivray Films’ One World One Ocean Foundation, Michaela Wolman and Shauna Badheka presented the Sylvia Earle Ocean Conservation Award to the filmmakers of “Gwala Rising in the Bwanabwana Islands,” which depicts the renaissance of traditional conservation practices in the islands of New Guinea. 

Earle is a renowned biologist, explorer, author and lecturer, who reportedly has been called “Her Deepness” by the New Yorker magazine and the New York Times. She makes her land home in Laguna Beach and wears a “Reserve Laguna” button in support of the Laguna Bluebelt – which also was honored at the HERO FEST. 

Professional photographers Alex CowdellMichael Fernandez and Rich Everson, and amateur photographers Noah MunivezBryan Greenberg and David Hansen, were the award winners of the 2018 Laguna Bluebelt Photography contest.

Mike BeanenJinger WallaceCharlotte Mazarik and Ray Hiemstra represented Laguna Bluebelt at the presentation. Councilwoman Toni Iseman was on hand to applaud. 

Student Art honorees included Laguna Beach High School students under the instruction of Bridget Beaudry Porter and Boys and Girls Club members Madeline ChuAngeline ElyazalMia JuarezSophie Schaefer and Mariam Tehari, taught by Caitlin Reller.

Laguna Poet John Gardiner was remembered for his “Crazy Wisdom.” 

127135Adriana Nieto-Sayegh and Dr. Jorge Rubal were featured in a documentary about the community clinicPhoto by Annabelle Vo, My HERO

The audience at the HERO FEST got a short introduction into Laugher Yoga, led by Jeffrey Briar every day at Main Beach. He had folks in the Forum Theatre up on their feet, waving their hands and, yes, laughing.

Laguna Beach Community Clinic Chief Operating Officer and Medical Director Dr. Jorge Rubal and Clinical Director Adriana Nieto-Sayegh were featured iCory Sparkhul’s award-winning film “Laguna Beach Community Clinic/Then and Now.” Both attended the awards presentation.

An anti-bullying film, featuring Laguna Beach Police Captain Jeff Calvert and skateboarding legend Tony Hawk won kudos for the department’s media team: Sgt. Jim Cota, Cpls. Darrel Short and Ryan Hotchkiss, Emergency Coordinator Jordon Villwock, Community Services Officer Natasha Hernandez, Administration Specialist Jenna Moore and Officers Mike ShortKyle Milot Mike Lee and Bandon Drake

127136(L-R) Jeanne Meyers, Jun Kelly, Wendy Milette, Whitney Winefordner, Niquole Esters, Larsen McCarroll, Adriana Nieto-Sayegh, Jessica Baron, Mike Beanan, Judith Anderson, Jeffrey Briar, Trey Carlisle, Madeline Gillum, Dr. Jorge RubalPhoto by Annabelle Vo, My HERO

Awards also recognized art from Poland, Tennessee, Newark Memorial High School, the Sultana Elementary School in the Ontario-Montclair School District and the Peace Pals 2017 International Competition winners.

Trey Carlisle, a SOKA intern and community activist, Joanne Tawfils of the Art Miles Mural Project, and Guitars in the Classroom’s Jessica Baron were recognized as educational partners at the HERO FEST. 

The awards program concluded with “It’s a Wonderful World,” sung by Winefordner and McCarroll.

HERO FEST is made possible in part by the Laguna Beach lodging establishments and the city. Laguna Beach radio station KX 93.5 and Stu News Laguna were media sponsors.