Susan B. Anthony

by Axelle from Prishtina

Well, you're probably wondering what it takes to be a hero. In my opinion, a hero should have three qualities, empathy, kindness, and they should be smart. First of all, it is important to have empathy. Someone who has empathy will be able to tell what other people are feeling so they can help them. Another important quality is being smart. For example, if they are smart, they will make good choices. Finally, one more thing a hero should have is kindness. They should have that because then they will do their best to help others with their needs. That is why a hero should have those qualities. 

Susan B. Anthony was born on February 15, 1820, in Massachusetts. She was a quaker and began to do chores as soon as she could walk. She attended a district school set up by her father and finally a boarding school near Philadelphia. Susan B. Anthony was never married but she was remarkably close to her parents. Her mom, Lucy Read, came from a family that fought in the revolutionary war and her dad, Daniel Anthony, was first a farmer and then a cotton mill owner. Susan was not an only child, she had seven brothers and seven sisters! In 1872 she voted for president and went to jail. Even though many people disliked her, many people loved her too, so she quickly got out of jail with only a fine. Eventually, she celebrated her 80TH birthday at the white house. On March 13TH 1906 she died of heart failure. She lived an amazing 86 years!  

Susan B. Anthony had some extremely challenging times, but I think her hardest was when she went to jail. This happened in 1872 when she voted for president. This is important because it put a lot of attention on her work and people began to think that what they were doing to her was wrong. She ran for president but failed because most people thought she was bad. But now most people think she is good and regret that. When Susan B. Anthony went to jail not only was it hard for herself but for her family too. Luckily, she was able to get out with only a fine.  

As you can see, Susan B. Anthony was a great American hero! She was very empathetic, smart, and kind. She showed empathy because she felt bad that women could not vote. She was smart because she had to figure out how to help women vote. And she was kind because she dedicated her life to helping women have the right to vote. Susan B. Anthony is my hero and now I hope she will be yours too.