Susan B. Anthony

by Olivia Lewandowski from San Diego , California in United States

Men, their rights, and nothing more; women, their rights, and nothing less.

-Susan B. Anthony

123195Susan B. Anthony and her lifelong friend, Elizabeth Cady Stantonhttps://www.wondersandmarvels.com/2011/06/a-friendship-that-changed-the-world.htmlHeroes are all around us; in our countries, cities, and even our homes. Some heroes are created over time, while others are born in a single instance. Heroes stand out among others and are defined by their leadership and ability to overcome challenging situations. An example of a hero with these qualities was Susan B. Anthony, a women’s rights activist, supporter of the abolitionist movement, and leader. Susan B. Anthony was born on February 15th, 1820, in Adams, Massachusetts. At a young age, she became influenced by her Amish roots and was determined to make a change. She campaigned around her hometown, supporting the temperance, abolition, and women’s rights movement. She eventually moved to Rochester, New York, where she was denied a chance to speak at a temperance convention simply because she was a woman. This motivated her to form the Women’s New York State Temperance Society with her companion, Elizabeth Cady Stanton. And that was just the beginning. They moved on to form the National Woman’s Suffrage Association in 1869. Susan B. Anthony never saw the rewards from her work, but after she died in 1906, all states granted women the right to vote. Susan B. Anthony accomplished this through her courage and determination. A person who possesses courage has the strength to defy social standards to make a change, usually when others won’t. Heroes also must possess determination, which influences them to risk their own personal stability for others in need, and attempt to fix problems with no personal agenda or gain. Susan B. Anthony is an inspirational hero because of her determination to balance equality in the society and her courage to defy the standards and fight for women’s and African American rights.

123133Susan B. Anthony at age 52https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_B._AnthonySusan B. Anthony is a hero because of her ongoing courage to fight for women’s rights. In the article, ¨Susan B. Anthony¨, her courage was portrayed through her actions. “In 1869, Anthony and Stanton founded the National Woman Suffrage Association. Anthony was tireless in her efforts, giving speeches around the country to convince others to support a woman's right to vote. She even took matters into her own hands in 1872, when she voted illegally in the presidential election. Anthony was arrested for the crime, and she unsuccessfully fought the charges; she was fined $100, which she never paid” (Biography.com). Susan B. Anthony founded many organizations, but her most well-known group was the National Woman’s Suffrage Association. Anthony not only brought people together to fight for the cause, but worked tirelessly herself to bring justice to women and others who were treated unequally. This displays Susan B. Anthony’s courage because she founded a nation-wide organization to support the cause of women’s rights, or more specifically, their right to vote. This was a brave thing to do in the 1800’s, when society was strict and male dominated. She also displayed courage when she illegally voted as a woman to express her opinions on the matter. In the book, Contemporary Heroes and Heroines, it describes Anthony’s youth and how her life found a focus. “In 1849, after having taught for over ten years, Anthony found her spirit drained and her professional future bleak. She focused her energies on social improvements and joined the local temperance society, only to be faced with inequality once again. After she was denied the chance to speak at a Sons of Temperance meeting because she was a woman, she founded the Daughters of Temperance, the first women's temperance organization” (Contemporary Heroes and Heroines). Many women were denied rights because of their gender, but they never took action regarding the issue.  Susan B. Anthony was the exception. Her courage and strength motivated her to challenge these gender inequalities by forming the Daughters of Temperance, a parallel to Sons of Temperance, who had rejected her. This was one of a few instances where a woman spoke out against popular belief in society. Susan B. Anthony ended up working her whole life to support women in the battle for equality. In the early years of Susan B. Anthony’s long battle for women’s rights, she was faced with oppression herself. This was where she first developed the courage to start the battle for women’s rights. Her bravery enabled her to stand out among all others and make a change. Overall, Susan B. Anthony displayed courage as she fought for women’s rights and equality, which made her a hero that shines in American history.

123182Susan B. Anthony, founder of the National Women's Suffrage Associationhttps://www.britannica.com/topic/International-Council-of-WomenSusan B. Anthony is also a hero because of her determination to balance equality in early society. In the book, Encyclopedia of World Biography, it states how her former allies betrayed her once they got the rights for black men to vote. After Anthony helped them with their cause, they left her behind to fight for her beliefs alone. “In 1865 she began her battle in the content of the 14th and 15th Amendments, hoping to gain the franchise for women as well as for African American males. But her former male allies in the abolitionist struggle brushed her aside, saying the time was not yet ripe for women's suffrage. Saddened but not deterred by this defeat, Anthony worked solely for women's suffrage from this time to the end of her life, organizing the National Woman Suffrage Association with Stanton” (Encyclopedia of World Biography). Susan B. Anthony was faced with many men challenging her movement, including her former allies in the abolitionist movement. Instead of dwelling on them refusing to help her, she moved on and continued her work for women’s suffrage. Susan B. Anthony was presented with countless obstacles including the male-dominated society and denial towards women’s suffrage. She received many defeats, but her determination drove her to fight until the very end. Sarah Ann McGill states in the article ¨Susan B. Anthony”, how Anthony’s determination caused her to fight even in her later years. “Despite the many frustrations Anthony encountered, she continued to make speeches and write petitions. In 1887 she and Stanton did succeed in leading the NAWSA, with Anthony taking over as its president when Stanton retired in 1892. She stepped down from this position in 1900, only to officiate the International Council of Women in Berlin of 1904. The following year, she met with President Theodore Roosevelt to discuss the possibility of an amendment that would nationally legalize women's vote. In 1906, Anthony turned 86 and at her birthday party she made her most famous speech, entitled "Failure is Impossible." That same year, she died at her home in Rochester, N.Y. She did not live to see the passage of the Twentieth Amendment, which gave all women in the United States the legal right to vote, in 1920, fourteen years after her death” (Sarah Ann McGill). In Anthony’s later years, even after all her hard work had not lead to suffrage for women, she did not give up. At age 72, she lead the National Woman’s Suffrage Association and at age 84 she officiated the International Council of Women in Berlin. A year before her death, she met with President Roosevelt to discuss the idea of an amendment for women’s suffrage. This commitment to an issue could not be replaced by any other human being. As it states in the evidence, Anthony encountered many obstacles in her course to change society. This shows even after all her hardships and difficulties, she managed to keep writing speeches, petitions, and spreading the influence in her later years. This is because of her persistence and determination, which payed off when women were given the right to vote in 1920, 14 years after her death. Overall, Susan B. Anthony exhibited determination when she never gave up in the fight for women’s rights and created equality in the society even after countless defeats.

123210Anthony displayed on the dollar coin, to honor her workhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_B._AnthonySusan B. Anthony is an inspirational hero because of her determination to establish equality in the society between men and women, and her courage to defy what was politically acceptable and fight for justice. Susan B. Anthony fought her entire life to secure women’s rights in the society. She worked with her life-long companion, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, and created the National Woman’s Suffrage Association. Anthony also created The Daughters of Temperance and Women’s National Loyal League. Not only did Anthony organize groups to support the cause, but she made countless speeches, wrote petitions, campaigned, wrote books, and gained allies of both genders with her kindness and determination. Susan B. Anthony was an inspiration to people all across the America in many ways. She displayed courage, selflessness, and persistence while standing up for equality and defying the social norms of society. Susan B. Anthony differed from all others when she took action to change the society by campaigning for women’s rights, the temperance movement, and the abolitionist movement. She devoted her whole life to fighting for the rights of women, and didn’t give up even until her last few days on earth. She was never able to see her efforts take effect, but 14 years after she passed away, all women were given a right to vote in America. Susan B. Anthony is not only an inspiration but a hero to all women. Anthony is a powerful historic hero who will always be remembered for dedicating her life to establish equality and justice for all, no matter the gender or color.

Lutz, Alma. Notable American Women, A Biographical Dictionary: 1607-1950. Harvard

University Press, 1971. EBSCO Biography Reference Center, web.a.ebscohost. com/brc/detail?vid=9&sid=8a99f2e2-90f9-4894-939d-fe692f0be628%40sessionmgr4010&bdata=JnNpdGU9YnJjLWxpdmU%3d#AN=34644109&db=b6h.

McGill, Sarah Ann. Susan B. Anthony. Great Neck Publishing, 2017. EBSCO Biography

Reference Center, web.a.ebscohost.com/brc/detail?vid=2sid=b099c6fd-ae83-4936-80 41-4a4ae716401e%40sessionmgr4009&bdata=JnNpdGU9YnJjLWxpdmU%3d#AN=18055186&db=b6h.

“Susan B. Anthony.” Biography.com, A&E Networks Television, 26 Feb. 2018,

www.biography.com/people/susan-b-anthony-194905.

"Susan B. Anthony." Contemporary Heroes and Heroines, vol. 3, Gale, 1998. Biography In

Context, https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K1607000012/BIC?u=powa9245&sid=BIC &xid=9027c233. Accessed 26 Mar. 2018.

"Susan Brownell Anthony." Encyclopedia of World Biography, Gale, 1998. Student Resources

In Context, https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K163100022 /SUIC?u=powa9245&sid= SUIC &xid=23e0633e. Accessed 26 Mar. 2018.

Biography.com - Biography on Susan B. Anthony
Gale Database - Biography on Susan B. Anthony
EBSCO Host - Book and biography on Susan B. Anthony