Philosophers

Believe in yourself

Swami Vivekananda

by Vahini Pandiarajan from Morrisville, North Carolina in United States

“ Talk to yourself once in a day, otherwise, you may miss meeting an excellent person in this world.” 

Looking out of my home office table window, raining sky, green lawn, wet birds, moving leaves... What a nice view, why I did not notice it for these many days? It's Lock down time; nobody knows where this is coming from and when it will be gone. Hectic meetings from morning, lots of pending work, buzz about situation and kids are playing at home without worries, though they are lovable kids, why I'm think that they are making noises?

I was a same soul, once as a girl in the middle of crowded neighborhood under multiple pressures, trying to enjoy rain and watch squirrels running on the roof. I realized I was missing reading general topics and missed to hear about great people who inspire me in rough times.

One among them is Swami Vivekananda, I again started looking for his quotes. The first one I got is, "You have to grow from the inside out. None can teach you, none can make you spiritual. There is no other teacher but your own soul." What true words... Simply growing in age, making money and getting into a good position in the job is not considered as Growth. 

I remember a small story that I read once. Swami Vivekananda was having a long trek in the Himalayas when he found an old man extremely exhausted standing hopelessly at the foot of an upward slope. The man said to Swamiji in frustration, "Oh, Sir, how to cross it; I cannot walk any more; my chest will break." Swamiji listened to the old man patiently and then said, "Look down at your feet. The road that is under your feet is the road that you have passed over and is the same road that you see before you; it will soon be under your feet." These words emboldened the old man to resume his onward trek. It applies to me and all of us now. This situation will be soon become under our feet. My hero whose words help me at all tough times.