Sylvie Drouin

by Annik Redmond from Cornwall, Ontario in Canada

My hero is my mother. My mom raised her little brother from the age of 7 to 18. She has two parents that are still alive but worked a lot and were never home. She then graduated from Algonquin College with her nursing degree. She had three kids and one miscarriage before she was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis at the age of 31 and got a divorce with my father at the age of 38, five years after having me (the baby of the family).

My mom is my hero because after everything she has been through, she is still the best mom in the world. All of the kids in the family have a lot of issues, and for her to do it all alone for 10 years and still put our lives before her own no matter what we have put her through is pretty impressive. I look up to my mom because I admire how generous and loving she is, the sacrifices and love she has for all of us. 

One quality that my mom has that I hope to have is to love my children as much as she does. I have never seen a love so strong.

Interview

What was the hardest thing that has happened in your life?

The hardest time in my life would be during the summer of 2010 when I had a bad multiple sclerosis relapse and had to start injecting myself every day with medication, and my husband told me that he was leaving me on the same day

How did you get through it?

I got through this difficult time by remembering that I had four young wonderful children to take care of who counted on me and with the help and support of my parents.

If you had a hero when you were 15, who would it be?

My hero would be my parents. They were always there for me; they encouraged me. They were strict but fair and always wanted the best for me and my brother. They taught me unconditional love, patience, and to strive and work hard for what you want in life. I've learned that nothing comes easy, life is hard, but with effort and perseverance you can achieve your goals and feel proud of your accomplishments.

What was your first thought when you found out you had M.S.?

It happened in 2003, so it was seventeen years ago. I'm not quite sure but I think my first thoughts were probably “I don't want to be in a wheelchair” and “Who will take care of my children?”

Why did you have 4 kids? 

I always wanted to have 6 kids. My third child, Alexa, was seven months old when I was diagnosed with M.S. My doctor advised me not to have more children, but I decided to have one more. When I was three months pregnant, I lost my vision in my right eye from the M.S. The doctor gave me the option to save my sight with medication that could harm the baby or possibly not get my vision back. Of course I chose the baby.

Describe yourself in one sentence.  

I am a very strong, patient, independent mother.

What is your favorite thing about me?

There are so many qualities that I love about you. My favorite would be your infectious smile, it's so pretty. The other quality would be your enormous compassion for others. You are not selfish, always aware of others' needs and ready to help, whether it’s schoolwork, sharing your food, your money, or being there for a friend.