Taylor Swift -"Wildest Dreams"

by Samantha Krumenacker from Escondido, California in United States

126712Taylor Swift Rehearsing for her Reputation World Tourhttps://celebmafia.com/taylor-swift/“Heroes arrive when we need them most. They define us and point us in a direction. To turn our sights at this moment toward an idea of America that is heroic does, admittedly, require an act of will” (Granger, David).  Granger explains how in this day and age we look for heroes to guide us when we need help, and after looking up to them for so long, they can also shape us into the people we are. Heroism can be anything from helping a fellow student with a subject they are struggling with, to going off and fighting for our country halfway across the world. It does not always need to be a big gesture, but if positive impacts are being brought upon others by people putting themselves second, heroism is being shown. One person can make a huge difference in the world or in someone's life, based on the way they choose to help and give back. For example, someone who volunteers at homeless shelters on weekends, or picks up trash on a beach could be making a positive impact towards someone or something. Their acts may seem small at the time, but they are still making a huge impact in the long run by helping those in need and making sure they left the world better than they found it. A hero must possess the ability to persevere through tough challenges and help others along the way. Through this, they are exampling what it means to be a good role model. Especially when they are normal people like anyone else, and choose to contribute to others and not just themselves.

126704Young Taylor Swift Singing the National Anthem at a Detroit Pistons Gamehttps://www.vulture.com/2014/11/see-a-baby-faced-taylor-swift-perform-the-national-anthem.html Many people think that to become someone they have to come from something, but that is not necessarily true. Anyone from a small town fireman to a small girl in Reading, Pennsylvania can grow up to be one of the most idolized role models in America. On December 13th, 1989, a baby girl was born. Her family lived on a large Christmas tree farm, and in her younger years she would paint figure paintings in her living room, and run around her family’s land with her younger brother. At the time, she had no idea what her future held. A few years later, she and her family realized the singing talents she possessed, and from there at the age of ten,  she started singing at small venues and local events. When she turned 12, she received her first guitar for her birthday and started learning how to play from the local repairman. From there, her talent skyrocketed. She began writing songs of her own and got a record deal at the age of 16. However, it was not always that easy. She faced typical (and not so typical) teenage issues as well, like mean girls at school, not being accepted for her musical hobbies by kids she knew, and being rejected several times before getting signed by a record label. But every time, she rose above these bumps in the road and has not stopped working hard for what she wanted since. Taylor Swift is one of the most beloved songwriters of our time, and she continues to succeed and inspire many throughout her career. She has an endless desire to help those in need, like when she donated 1,989 dollars to help a fan pay off student loans. She also possesses a strong sense of grit that helps her stay on top of things. Along with being one of the most popular songwriters on Earth, Taylor Swift is considered a hero because of her generosity towards others and her unwavering dedication to achieving her goals. 

126702Taylor Swift Receiving the 'Big Help Award'https://www.mtv.co.uk/nickelodeon-kids-choice-awards/news/justin-bieber-gets-slimed-at-2012-nickelodeon-kcas Throughout her career, Swift has always tried her best to go out of her way to be charitable and kind towards others. Swift has even won awards for her selfless doings :“Now, in recognition of Taylor's philanthropic efforts, First Lady Michelle Obama will be on hand at Nickelodeon's Kids' Choice Awards this weekend to present Taylor with The Big Help Award in recognition of the superstar's extensive charity work, especially with tornado and flood survivors in the United States.” (Betts, Stephen). Taylor had no intent on winning awards, but through her endless kind gestures and selfless mindset, she shows us that even the smallest of good deeds can add up and make a difference later. This also demonstrates how there is more to Swift than her popular songs and successful career, because many see her just for her music, and not for all the amazing things she has done for others. She also makes sure she is giving back to the world because it has already given her so much, like her fame, fortune, and loyal fans. Swift wants everyone to know how grateful she is for their support. Another way Swift displays her appreciation for the people around her is her unconditional goodwill and wanting to raise others up, whether they deserve it or not. Taylor Swift once said, “I want to leave a trail of people behind me who had gotten better opportunities or felt better about themselves because of me.” (Klosterman, Chuck.). Even though Swift may not know who they are, she still chooses to make her fans and the people who support her feel special and wanted. She does this by going out of her way to help her fans verbally and financially, and also tries her best to meet them whenever she can to show her appreciation for all they have done for her. She does not only care about herself and her career, but she also acknowledges those who make her career happen, because, without them, she would not be where she is today. Taylor Swift always tries her best to be benevolent and considerate to the people who support, and help her.

126709Taylor Swift in her music video "Fifteen"https://www.beamly.com/tv-film/definitive-timeline-taylor-swifts-hair-evolutionTaylor Swift perseveres endlessly in pursuit of her goals, and through this achieves things people can only dream about. When she was first starting her career, she was faced with many challenges. Record labels would not accept her because of her age, and lack of experience, but even though things were not working out for her, she continued to push through and get what she wanted:

“Swift didn't have much luck as a singer at first, approaching labels with a demo on which she sang Dolly Parton and Dixie Chicks songs. But songwriting was another story. The following year, she was signed as a staff songwriter by the prestigious Sony Tree music publisher in Nashville. The environment at Hendersonville High School might have provided other students merely with gossip fodder, but for Swift it was the raw material for new songs. ‘There was always some drama I could write songs about,’ she told Eileen Finan of People. ‘Like my friend getting broken up with and bawling her eyes out or a guy being completely immature’”("Taylor Swift." Contemporary Musicians, ).

126708Taylor Swift at the 2016 Grammys singing her hit "Out Of The Woods"https://www.standard.co.uk/showbiz/celebrity-news/taylor-swift-set-to-play-superhero-in-xmen-franchise-after-sophie-turner-drops-major-hint-a3573741.htmlEven though Swift had to conquer many obstacles to achieve her goals, she still managed to push through and follow her dreams by believing in herself and doing it her own way.  Instead of quitting and moving on with her life, she found things to make her talents original by working with what she had. This was a very mature decision for someone her age to make, and everyone could learn a lot from her ongoing perseverance. Later on in her career, Swift still managed to put her strong morals of not quitting and continuing to rise in tough times in her song “Change”, which came out in 2008. “Because these things will change I can feel it now. These walls that they put up to hold us back will fall down. This revolution, the time will come for us to finally win. And we'll sing hallelujah” (“Change”, Taylor Swift). Here, Swift reveals through her lyrics how the hate and trials others throw at her cannot, and will not keep her from the goals she has in mind. Through her continuous milestones of not letting others limit her future, she has shown the possibilities of what one can do with his or her life with the correct amount of effort.  Taylor Swift shows how even when she is faced with uphill battles, she looks for her own unique ways around it, instead of pitying herself and giving up. She also tends to help others along the way, whether it’s what they learn from her experiences, or her trying her best to personally tell them they can get through it with her music.

126711Taylor Swift in her "Shake It Off" music videohttps://wadebearden.com/truth-behind-taylor-swifts-shake-it-off/In the end, Taylor Swift is a wonderful role model and hero to all because of her unlimited supply of sympathy and kindness, plus her ability to push through challenging situations while benefiting others.
“'Cause the players gonna play, play, play, play, play, And the haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, Baby, I'm just gonna shake, shake, shake, shake, shake, I shake it off, I shake it off” (“Shake It Off”, Swift) Taylor Swift is always making sure she is doing the right thing and setting the right example, like in her song “Shake it Off”, when she demonstrates how people can get through their issues, by “shaking them off” and doing what is best for themselves. By doing this, she is also taking it into her own hands to help others face their problems like she has done countless times before in her career. Swift’s many song lyrics and acts of kindness have helped me through many difficult times. I looked up to her during the auditioning process for a club on campus called Vocal Flight. I was not fully sure how my audition would go or what the people putting on the auditions would think of my voice. I remembered how Swift never gave up on the things she wanted, and how confidently she approaches everything, and I knew that’s what I had to do. So, I tried my best to walk in like I had auditioned a hundred times before, even though I was as nervous as ever. Later on, I found out that I did not get in, but just like her I still continued to push through it and shake off my worries because I knew there would be other opportunities waiting for me. This experience definitely opened new doors for me because I realized I had more time to focus on orchestra and marching band, which I am planning on continuing in the future, other than putting all my time into a small club that would not benefit me as much. Swift inspires many because of her many relatable qualities and actions she has done. Taylor Swift is the definition of a hero because she started from the bottom like anyone else, fought for what she wanted, and ended up becoming a star because of her self-motivation and hard work, showing that anyone could end up just like her and achieve their “Wildest Dreams” ("Wildest Dreams", Taylor Swift).  

Works Consulted

Betts, Stephen L. “Taylor Swift to Receive 'Big Help Award' From Nickelodeon and First Lady Michelle Obama.” The Boot, 27 Mar. 2012.

Granger, David, editor. “Boy, Do We Ever Need a Hero.” Esquire Magazine, Nov. 1998.

“Fanning The Fame.” Celebrating 10 Years of Taylor Swift SuperStar, Edited by Tom Prince,

Conde Nast, 2016, pp. 54–55.

Klosterman, Chuck. “Tay-Tanic.” GQ, 2015.

Mays, Laura. “13 Taylor Swift Lyrics We Can All Be Inspired By.” The Odyssey Online, 3 Sept.

2017, www.theodysseyonline.com/13-inspiring-taylor-swift-lyrics.

McMaster, Andrew. “5 Times Taylor Swift Showed Her 'Reputation' as a Global Citizen.” Global Citizen, 24 Aug. 2017,

www.globalcitizen.org/en/content/taylor-swift-global-citizen-charity-activism/.

“Michelle Obama Honours Taylor Swift with 'Big Help' Award.” The Telegraph, Telegraph

Media Group, 1 Apr. 2012, www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/michelle-obama/9179171/Michelle-Obama-honours-Taylor-Swift-       with-Big-Help-award.html.

Taylor Swift. “Best Day.” Fearless, 2008.

“Taylor Swift.” Biography.com, A&E Networks Television, 16 Feb. 2018,

www.biography.com/people/taylor-swift-369608.

Taylor Swift . “Change .” Dec. 2007.

"Taylor Swift." Contemporary Musicians, vol. 65, Gale, 2009. Biography In Context,   

https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K1608005312/BIC?u=powa9245&sid=BIC&xid=1cd06dd9.  Accessed 15 Apr. 2018.

Taylor Swift. “Shake It Off.” 1989, 2014.

Taylor Swift. “Wildest Dreams .” 1989, 2014.

Taylor Swift's YouTube Page - Here you can find all her music and videos.
Taylor Nation - Official Tumblr for Taylor's MGMT team.