Terry Fox

by Baptiste Derrot from Lille in France

For me a hero is someone who lives with courage and follows your heart.

I'm going to tell you about my hero. His name is Terry Fox.

He was born in July 28, 1958 in Winnipeg, Manitoba. In 1977, he got bone cancer and right leg amputation above the knee. Terry Fox is a Canadian hero. There is a statue for him, in Ottawa, the capital of Canada. He died on June 28, 1981.

In hospital, he decides to run across Canada and raise money for cancer research. He started in St John's, Newfoundland on April 12, 1980. His goal was to get attention, collect money for cancer research and raise $1 from each Canadian citizen. Every day he traveled 42 kilometers. His run ended after 143 days and 5,373 kilometers in September 1, 1980.

He was an athletic man and courageous because, even after bone cancer and a leg amputation, he decided to run.

As a conclusion I choose Terry Fox because he's a good man, courageous and athletic man. Today there is an organization of the Terry Fox Run around the world every year. The goal: raise money for cancer research.