Terry Fox

by Vera from Cochrane, Alberta in Canada

"Anything is possible if you try, dreams are made if people try."

138936Terry Fox Webby VeraI chose Terry Fox because he had a lot of courage and he raised millions of dollars for cancer research. My book was a biography. This book is 29 pages long. This book covers when he was born until he died. This book was written by Maxine Trottier. The book is called "Terry Fox, a Story of Hope." 

138937Terry Fox portraitby VeraTerry Fox was born in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Terry had a younger brother, Darrel, and he took care of his younger sister Judith. He walked to school with his older brother Fred. He went to Mary Hill Jr. Secondary School. He liked basketball. He made the junior varsity basketball team. Terry wanted to play basketball. He started feeling leg pains when he was 18. 

138939Terry Fox running across Canadaby VeraHe had to learn how to play basketball in a wheelchair. He learned how to walk and play basketball with an artificial leg. He saw Rick Hansen played basketball, and he said if he can do it, I can do it. Terry had a dream to run across Canada. His brother, Darrel, helped Terry run across Canada. He raised over twenty million dollars for cancer research.

When I first heard of Terry Fox, I was so surprised. If I met Terry Fox, the three questions I would ask him are: How did you run so far across Canada? Who helped you run across Canada? Did you wear the same clothes every day? I wouldn't want to be this person's child because he wanted to run across Canada and I would never see him. I really liked this book because it gave me so much information on Terry Fox. I learned in this book that he liked basketball, like me. Terry Fox and I have the love of basketball in common. You may like this book because it tells all about Terry's life. I'm happy I chose this person because he helped others so much by raising awareness and money for cancer research. I definitely think he is a good role model. 

Terry Fox - Wikipedia - Terry Fox - Wikipedia
Terry Fox | The Canadian Encyclopedia - Terry Fox | The Canadian Encyclopedia
Terry Fox and the Marathon of Hope revolutionized cancer - Terry Fox and the Marathon of Hope revolutionized cancer
About Terry Fox - Terry Fox Run - Simon Fraser University - About Terry Fox - Terry Fox Run - Simon Fraser University