ORGANIZER
Elements of Art

ESSENTIAL QUESTION ♦ How do the elements of art contribute to the meaning of the artwork?

• Line
  • Shape
  • Form
  • Space
  • Color
  • Texture
  • Value (sometimes)
The Elements of Art
Credit: MY HERO Gallery

LINE - is a mark (made with a tool, such as a pencil) with greater length than width. Lines can be vertical (up and down), horizontal (side to side), or diagonal (across); straight or curved; thick or thin.

SHAPE - is a closed line. Shapes can be geometric, like triangles and rectangles; or organic, like flowers or free form. Shapes are flat. 

FORMS - are three-dimensional shapes which most importantly represent depth. Think of basketballs, eyeballs, hands, chairs. 

SPACE - is the area between and around objects. The space around objects is often called negative space; negative space has shape. Space can also refer to the feeling of depth. In visual art, space is created as an illusion (its the appearance of space). 

COLOR - all color is the reflection of light. Color has three main characteristics: hue (the name of the color, such as red, green, blue, etc.), value (how light or dark it is), and intensity (how bright or dull it is). • White is pure light; black is the absence of light. • Primary colors are the only true colors (red, blue, and yellow). All other colors are mixes of primary colors. 

TEXTURE - is the surface quality; what we can seen and feel. Textures can be rough or smooth, soft or hard. In 2D art (such as drawings) artists, like space, create the illusion (appearance) of texture. 

VISUAL THINKING STRATEGIES

The works of art selected carefully take into consideration one or more of the elements of art. Use these artworks to think about the questions below:

ANALYSING ART CRITIQUE QUESTIONS

♦ What do you see in the image? (colors, shapes, etc? use directional language such as "in the bottom right corner")

♦ What does the image make you think/feel? (state your opinion using evidence from the image to defend your response.)

♦ How did the artist use the Elements of Art in the artwork? Which elements did they use and why did they make that choice?

CLICK on the image to read the Artist Statement. 

ARTIST: Tom Block

TITLE: Jacqueline Moudeina- Human Rights Painting Project

MEDIUM: Painting 

Credit: Tom Block

ARTIST: Haley Moss

TITLE: Survivor 

MEDIUM: Digital Imagery 

Credit: Haley Moss

ARTIST: Pamela Santos

TITLE: Through so Much Heartache You Hold On

MEDIUM: Drawing 

Achieved with CAC/NEA Grant for My Hero and Taft High School
Credit: Taft High School

MEDIUM: Kaiser Lewis

TITLE: MLK Jr - My Dream

MEDIUM: Drawing

Credit: Kaiser Louis

ARTIST: Kaiser Lewis

TITLE: Still Life

MEDIUM: Drawing 

Credit: Kaiser Louis - additional images

Artist: Guinevere Devlin

Title: Wangari Maathai

Medium: Mixed Media

Credit: Guinevere Devlin
Art Gallery Link

Organizer created on 5/5/2020 3:17:28 PM by Giselle Villatoro

Last edited 3/8/2023 1:31:43 PM by Laura Nietzer