The Red Bandana

by Jessie Dixon from San Diego, California in United States

123156Welles Crowtherhttps://nypost.com“They didn't know his name, they didn't know where he came from, but they knew their lives had been saved by the man in the red bandana” (Obama 1:35-1:50). Welles Crowther always had the traits to be a true hero, and he put those into action when a dangerous situation came upon him. He always aspired to be a firefighter, and grew up to be a 24 year old trade equalities worker and volunteer firefighter. He was working in the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001 when terrorists attacked, and that day he became known as the man in the red bandana after he saved lives in the South tower using the bandana as a protective mask. A hero must possess selflessness, bravery when they are called into action, and they must be a motivation and inspiration to others. Although it seemed Welles Crowther was just an ordinary worker, he showed his heroic qualities in a time of danger and need. Welles demonstrates selflessness while helping and saving those around him, bravery because of the way he executed his actions, and serves as a motivation to make a difference after a tragic event.

Welles Crowther displayed his quality of selflessness on the day of the attack when he saved many lives in the South Tower. When the terrorists attacked, instead of being a civilian attempting to save himself, he chose to be a hero to others and use his selflessness to rescue people in danger. “He is credited with helping at least 10 people escape the tower in several trips up and down stairwells, before perishing alongside a group of New York City firefighters” (Kilgannon). Welles gave his life to help 10 civilians without question, and was a hero to those lives that could have been lost. Welles was not working as a firefighter, yet he took it upon himself to rescue lives when he did not need to. Welles was among those that were yet to be saved, therefore he helped even though it was not his duty. “The Journal News of Rockland County, N.Y., identifies the man in the red bandanna as Crowther. It quotes Young as saying that although he saved others, "he didn't save himself” (Hampson). This makes it clear that he did it all for the people, even if he went unidentified and did not survive. Welles was caring for others to do this, and he was not known or acknowledged for a substantial period of time after the attacks. He used his selflessness as a heroic attribute when he saved many lives but yet he did not save his own.

123165World Trade Centerhttps://www.phillytrib.comWelles used his bravery in this frightening situation by acting immediately and not equipped, and was persistent when he had already saved plenty of lives. Welles was on the 78th floor when the planes hit, and time was running out for lives to be saved. “...That morning before organizing a group rescue in the burning South Tower on floors not yet reached by firefighters” (Kilgannon). Welles displayed his bravery by acting as a rescuer for those in danger, despite it not being his job. He took the initiative to help the people in need which was another example of how he took action immediately, and he was brave enough to sacrifice his life. When Welles helped save the lives of many, he had already done enough, yet he did not stop there. He was tenacious and brave to walk back into the burning towers soon to collapse. “Carrying a woman on his back; that when they reached clearer air, he put the woman down and went back up the smoky stairs. But no one can identify the man” (Hampson). Although Welles could have remained in clear air and stayed safe, he decided to head back up to help others in need. If he had not done this, many could have died, yet he most likely could have saved himself but he cared more about others. Crowther clearly showed his bravery during the attack, through his persistence and drive to save lives when uncalled for.

123190Welles Crowther, age 8https://nypost.comWelles Crowther had the heroic qualities of being a firefighter, and he truly inspired the country with his attributes on the day of the worst terrorist attack in American history. Welles was selfless while helping those around him, brave because of the way he acted, and is a motivation to all that hear his story. Crowther unquestionably yet unexpectedly sacrificed his life that day, and was a true hero to the lives he saved.  Many that were affected by Welles were truly impacted by his actions and it shows how much of a hero he was to them. Welles is honored in the U.S for what he did, and he will always be remembered for the way he helped the people in danger. He was so admired that he was given a site at a famous museums to show his honor and inspiration towards others, which shows the impact that Welles had on the people that hear his story. Overall, not only was Welles just a volunteer firefighter and equalities trade worker, he was a hero and an inspiration to many Americans.

Hampson, Rick. "Welles Crowther: man with the red bandanna." USA Today, 29 Aug. 2011, p. 18. Student Resources in Context, https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/A267429167/SUIC?u=powa9245&xid=0cbe446e. Accessed 23 Mar. 2018.

Kilgannon, Corey. "'Red Bandana' Recounts A Story of 9/11 Heroism." New York Times, 9 Sept. 2017, p. A20(L). Student Resources in Context, https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/A503857158/SUIC?u=powa9245&xid=92e89b52. Accessed 23 Mar. 2018

“Obama Speaks About Heroic ‘Man in the Red Bandana’.” YouTube, uploaded by Wall Street Journal, 15 May 2014, https://youtu.be/4j1HXMcZ2cs.

Welles' Story - A biography from Welles' Charitable Trust website
Saved on 9/11, by the Man in the Red Bandana - More info on his life from The New York Times