LESSON PLAN

Thurgood Marshall Lesson Plan

Multimedia curated teacher resource and learning outcomes. MY HERO celebrates the accomplishment of Thurgood Marshall. Thurgood Marshall was born on July 2, 1908.

Read these two stories about civil rights leader Thurgood Marshall, his rise to a Supreme Court Justice and why he is Vijay's personal hero. 

Thurgood Marshall

By: Staff

Lawyer and Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall fought for civil rights by changing laws to fight racial segregation. He was one of the greatest agents of change of the 20th century. 

Vijay wrote his t-shirt prize winning hero essay on Thurgood Marshall for the hero traits of perseverance, courage and righteousness.

"I admire Thurgood Marshall because he challenged the boundaries created by prejudice, and successfully won. I can especially relate this to myself as an Indian in America because of the ongoing prejudice towards people from Southern Asia."

Thurgood Marshall

By: Vijay

Thurgood Marshall was appointed as the first African American Supreme Court Justice and advanced desegregation in the United States.

Students watch the following film created by a student about Thurgood Marshall.

Thurgood Marshall (1:23)

Producer: Nathan Wolin

This short film was created at El Morro Elementary School to honor the legendary Thurgood Marshall.

Discussion Questions

1. Thurgood Marshall challenged the boundaries created by racism and prejudice. Who is someone you know working for equal rights and ending prejudice? Share his or her story with MY HERO. 

2. What action does your hero inspire you to accomplish? 

3. Thurgood Marshall was the first African American Supreme Court Justice. Do you know someone who was the first of their race, gender or family to achieve something? What obstacles did they face and how did they persevere to reach their goal? Share their story with MY HERO

4. Vijay felt a personal connection with Thurgood Marshall. Who is a hero that you make a personal connection with? Share his or her story with MY HERO.  

Thurgood Marshall - Reigning Supreme

By: Michael Mahue Moore

Artwork inspired by Thurgood Marshall: "I was inspired by the works of this man and his march towards equality."

Artist Michael Mahue Moore was inspired by Thurgood Marshall's accomplishments and march toward equality.  Who is your hero fighting for equal rights? Consider creating a portrait of him or her and submitting it to MY HERO. 

Learning Outcome

Students will identify heroes in their own lives, particularly those heroes with whom they feel a personal connection. Students will be encouraged to construct a social justice action plan.  

Teachers: Visit MY HERO for additional curated multimedia resources honoring Thurgood Marshall. 

Thurgood Marshall Multimedia Resource Organizer 

Laura Nietzer

This curated Thurgood Marshall lesson plan was created by MY HERO Education Outreach Director Laura Nietzer.

Official Website of the NAACP Legal Defense Fund

"LDF was launched at a time when the nation’s aspirations for equality and due process of law were stifled by widespread state-sponsored racial inequality.  From that era to the present, LDF’s mission has always been transformative: to achieve racial justice, equality, and an inclusive society."

Learn about a New Hero Every Day of the Year: Use the MY HERO Calendar in the Classroom

Students can share their Hero Essays, Films and Art through our Create Program

Organizer created on 6/14/2019 10:23:28 AM by Laura Nietzer

Last edited 6/28/2021 3:22:26 PM by Laura Nietzer