Tygert Burton Pennington

by Shawna from Herrin, IL

“Talk about an extreme makeover, I’m living it!” – Ty Pennington
Ty Pennington
Ty Pennington

A hero: What is a hero? Does anyone really know? Well, to me, a hero is a person who lives life to the fullest. No matter what crosses the path, heroes see another challenge to accomplish. A hero is a person who helps people and believes in himself or herself.

My hero is an individual who is determined, has belief, and is genuine.

Ty Pennington continues each day with determination. He conquers the world with his willingness and belief to carry on. That is why he is my hero.

This is the front cover of Ty's book.
This is the front cover of Ty's book.

On October 19, my hero was born to a psychologist and jazz musician. Tygert Burton Pennington is a native to Atlanta, Georgia. As a child, he attended schools in Atlanta. Later, Kennesaw College was a task worth taking. An art professor proposed the idea of a job in graphic design. Still attending classes by night at the Atlanta Art Institute, Pennington began a daily occupation as a carpenter. While honing his carpentry skills for education financing, he continued his studies at the Atlanta College of Art. Ty started a valuable journey when a model scout comes up to him in his final semester. Seeking an acting career, Ty departed to Los Angeles. Wilburt Wright was the character Ty played in the movie, "The Adventures of Ociee Nash." He gained more fame as the carpenter in the popular TV series "Trading Spaces." As an author, Ty issued a novel, "Ty’s Tricks: Home Repair Secrets Plus Cheap and Easy Projects to Transform Amy Room", in 2003. The book was created for those who believed in do-it-yourself projects and needed guided through their home betterment attempts.

You’re probably wondering how all of these accomplishments make Ty a hero. Tygert Pennington is a victim of ADHD.

As a part of the 2 to 5 million adults and once a part of the 3.5 million children with the disorder, Ty was diagnosed with ADHD. He was analyzed by his school psychologist, which happens to be his mother. Conquering a neurobiological disorder and living life to its fullest makes Ty my hero. Attention Deficit-Hyperactivity Disorder is discovered when people are hyperactive, have improper impulses, and have trouble sustaining attention. Medication controls Ty’s emotional problems and bounciness. He is leaving the negativity behind and believes in himself to keep going. In fact, Ty is a member of the ADHD Experts on Call; he is the spokesperson. And that’s not all.

Ty is with his nephew
Ty is with his nephew

Ty was a carpenter on TLC's "Trading Spaces," a reality show. He is known by hosting "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition", shown on ABC every Sunday night. It develops a “home sweet home” for those who deserve. Pennington is the founder of Furniture Unlimited. Currently, Ty's Style Line is being borrowed by Sears, a sponsor of the program. The Sears American Dream Campaign, community outreach, is another activity Ty is involved in.

My hero is shown during a taping on January 15, 2005, after an emergency appendectomy in Atlanta. The team leader, energetic, continued his tasks where he rested, recuperating. Ty and his team yet again amazed me when they went to help those hit by the hurricanes. They went to construct a medical clinic in Biloxi, Mississippi. Help was on the way, on March 30, when the group went to Broward County, Florida, to help a young couple and the restore a soup kitchen. During a conference, Ty informed them about how he was motivated when helping out in the Gulf Coast. Salvaging the meaning of “a great American region” wasn’t the only thing Ty tried to stress. He also said that renewing the towns' spirit was important. For a 41-year-young person, Ty is most definitely a wonderful person and a great inspiration.

A hero of mine has to be determined, has to have beliefs, and be genuine. He/she has to be able to attempt the challenge of life. Heroes have to take the right path. As you have read, Tygert Burton Pennington lives each day with ADHD and keeps going. Throughout these journeys, Ty has overcome a journey of his own.