Trey Carlisle

Trey Carlisle is a filmmaker, activist and poet.

The MY HERO Project is proud to support Trey Carlisle, a passionate voice for positive change in the world. He has been telling important stories about fighting injustice since eighth grade.

Trey received the MY HERO Emerging Artist Award in 2016, and was recently awarded a Fulbright Fellowship to study in Nanjing China.

MY HERO Project spotlight on Trey Carlisle

Produced by:The MY HERO Project
Meet 2016 Emerging Artist Trey Carlisle.
Deeply committed to social justice, Trey learned about film making through The Righteous Conversations Project, an organization that pairs teens with Holocaust survivors to share their important stories. On a trip to Cambodia with Digital Storytelling Adventures, he combined his interest in the Holocaust, the Cambodian Genocide and the Black Lives Matter movement to create "Us and Us", a documentary about dehumanization.

Us and Us_

Produced by:Trey Carlisle, Cole Kawana, Sebastian Ko and Jordan Seibel.
A look at dehumanization through the eyes of a black teen and the history of genocides.

Bryan Stevenson

By: Arthur (Trey) Carlisle
Bryan Stevenson has been recognized across the globe for the work that he has done to address poverty and racial inequality.

Original Music Video - Heroes Wanted

Heroes Wanted

Trey Carlisle
Trey celebrates the best of humanity with this original hero anthem!
A former child actor, Carlisle grew up watching superhero cartoons and fantasized about being a superhero. Trey met his hero, Attorney Bryan Stevenson, and wrote about him in this essay. Stevenson leads the nation toward prison reform and racial equality through representing people of color who have received unjust treatment in the U.S. criminal justice system.
Tell us about your hero
Credit: MH

Trey is also a musician, poet and spoken word artist. Here's a performance of his spoken word piece "History Will Be Repeated," which encourages every one of us to stand up for equality and social justice.

History will be Repeated

Produced by:Trey Carlisle
Watch filmmaker/spoken word artistTrey Carlisle's performance of "History Will Be Repeated," a poem promoting tolerance.

MY HERO Suggested Video

Making "Music in Common" | TEDxTalks EmergingUS

Trey and two other members of Music in Common talk about their ideas and experience during their song collaboration. Music in Common is built on the unwavering belief that people-to-people encounters are the most effective way to create global change.

Trey graduated from Soka University as a Sociology and Cultural Anthropology major.

As a Fulbright Fellow this fall, Trey will continue to bridge divides, this time between Chinese and Afro-diasporic art forms.

Soka’s Isolde Pierce and Trey Carlisle Awarded Fulbright Fellowships
Credit: Soka.edu
"...the universe doesn't call those who are qualified; the universe qualifies those who are called. I never in my wildest dreams thought I would work with Holocaust survivors, create a documentary in Cambodia, and work with amazing organizations like the MY HERO Project. But, seeing how my life changed from a simple dream, I now believe that we all have the potential to better the world in our own unique way. This is the message I hope to pass to as many people as possible during my time on this earth."
- Trey Carlisle

Related Pages

Black Lives Matter | Voices of Hope and Change

By: Shannon Luders-Manuel
These 21st century heroes are moving America forward in racial justice and equality.

The Equal Justice Initiative

Gabriel Diamond
Bryan Stevenson and Equal Justice Initiative litigate cases for the unjustly imprisoned and work to reform the justice system.

Remembering History: EJI's Legacy Museum & National Memorial for Peace and Justice

Produced by:MY HERO
MY HERO Reporter Trey Carlisle reports on the opening of the Equal Justice Initiative's National Memorial for Peace and Justice.
MY HERO Contests
Credit: MH

Heroes Wanted

Trey Carlisle

History will be Repeated

Produced by:Trey Carlisle

Organizer created on 6/13/2020 4:09:46 PM by Xenia Shin

Last edited 2/12/2021 2:20:04 AM by Jeanne Meyers