Harriet Tubman

by Itzel from Mission, Texas

Harriet Tubman (www.brightmoments.com/blachistory/nhtubman.stm)

Harriet Tubman was born in 1820 in Dorchester County, Maryland. As a child, she was raised under harsh conditions. When she was twelve, a devastating injury happened to her from a blow in the head because she refused to assist in the hanging of a man who had tried to escape from slavery. When she was twenty-five, she married a free African-American named John Tubman.

One day, a white woman gave her a piece of paper and told her to go to the first house on the path to freedom. When she reached the first house, she was put in a wagon and driven to her next destination. She followed that route to Pennsylvania until she finally settled in Philadelphia. When she was in Philadelphia she met William Still, the Philadelphia Stationmaster on the Underground Railroad. With the help of William and the other members of the Anti-Slavery Society, she learned how the UGRR worked.

She relocated her family members and lead them through the UGRR to freedom. Then she started gathering people who were under slavery and leading them through the UGRR to the states in the North. Her people started calling her “The Moses of her people,” because she rescued more than three hundred slaves. During the Civil War, she was spy, nurse, and soldier. After the Civil War ended, she returned to Auburn, New York, and married Nelson Davis.

Itzel Zamora
Itzel Zamora

Harriet Tubman is my hero because she was an African-American and a woman, but yet she had the courage to lead many people to freedom and help fight for her people during the war. I think Harriet Tubman is an inspiration to all of us because despite her little advantages, she did so much for the African-American heritage. Harriet Tubman died a hero on March 1913.