Tyler Joseph

by Špela Piskur from Slovenia

133889Tyler Joseph (right), Josh Dun (left)Real Bear Media 

Tyler Robert Joseph was born on the 1st of December in1988, in Columbus, Ohio. He started making music when he was around 14 years old. He got an electric piano from his mom for Christmas and started copying melodies of the songs that played on the radio. With that, he learned the basics of the piano. When he was 16, he wrote his first song and decided he would record it. He wrote more songs and published his first solo album in 2007. He named the album No Phun Intended. In 2009 he formed a band with his college friends Chris and Nick. He named the band Twenty One Pilots. He got the band’s name from Arthur Millers’ play All My Sons. He wrote more songs and on the 29th December 2009, they published an album called Twenty One Pilots, a.k.a Self-Titled. Chris and Nick left the band in early 2011, and soon after that Chris’s friend Josh Dun joined the band. In 2011 they released an album named Regional At Best and the same year they played their first sold-out show. In 2012 they signed to a record label called Fueled by Ramen.

133890VesselFueled By RamenIn 2013 they released the album Vessel. On the cover of the album you can see Tyler and Josh's grandfathers. The album reflects about how your body is a vessel and what it goes through in life.

In 2015 they released an album called Blurryface. The album talks about Tyler’s inner demons and insecurities. In 2018 they released an album called Trench. In the album Tyler describes his whole journey in the world he created. He created a world called Trench and he describes his experiences on this journey.

Tyler didn’t just start writing songs just because he was bored. He started writing because he had and still has problems, and music did something to him. It helped him cope with his problems. He also started writing songs because he knew that there are many teens going through the same things as him (suicide, depression…) and he will never stop writing until he doesn’t have the problems anymore.

133891Twenty One PilotsAlternative PressI have been a part of the Twenty One Pilots fandom, a.k.a.The Clique, for many years now and I have seen and heard people say how Tyler’s music and Twenty One Pilots music, in general, saved their lives and inspired them. I could say the same thing for me because Tyler and Josh’s aim is to inspire people through their music. So I consider Tyler a hero because you don’t need to be a hero known by your heroic acts. Everyone has their own definition of a hero. Tyler inspired me, so my definition of a hero is someone who inspires you not necessary through heroic acts but through what impression they left on you.