Victor Fuentes

by Ashley Rankin from San Diego, California in United States

"Darling, you'll be okay" -Victor Fuentes

129759Victor FuenteswikipediaMusic can mean different things to different people. To myself and many others, a band named Pierce the Veil mean a lot to us. It’s a sign of hope and inspiration. Lyrics preach to us that everything will be fine and to continue on. Melodies that allow us to drag on through the day with a positive outlook. Beats that distract us from the tragedies in life and let us escape society and heartache into our reality. Obviously, people love different types of music. Country to heavy metal, music allows the same feeling to people. This band has allowed so many people to experience feelings that can possibly change the listener's life. Victor Vincent Fuentes was born on February 10th of 1983. Victor was born and raised in San Diego. He attended Mission Bay High school and that is where everything changed for Victor. When Victor was in high school, he faced a big challenge a lot of teenagers face. He had depression. Victor began to use self-harming as his outlet. Self-harming becomes an addiction that you can't run from. It causes anxiety, depression, and suicide thoughts. He started to take his anger out on his brother, but quickly turned to music. He started a band with his younger brother in 2006 and called it Pierce The Veil. They got signed by Equal Visions Records and that kicked off their music career. There’s many characteristics that make up a hero. Courageous, brave, self-less, hardworking, and many more. In my opinion, one trait that’s more important than all those is being inspirational. Being able to be memorable and to cause change in someone else’s life means so much more than any of those first traits. The effect to change someone’s life means changing someone’s world.

129761Positive words Tumblr Victor Fuentes has used his music to convey certain feelings about topics such as self-harming and suicide and many fans of the band have said that it has saved their lives. Victor’s band has always made its priority to send a certain message to the fans to create a deeper bond. “From the start, Pierce the Veil has made it a high priority to take their fan interaction to a deeper level. The members claim to have made lifelong friends from meet-and-greets, and many of their songs result from actually listening to, well, their listeners. Fan letters — whether it’s losing a loved one, suffering from depression, or struggling with self-inflicted harm — have touched the band just as deeply as the music has touched the fans in return”( Phoenix New Times). Many events in Victor's life drove him to do many things. Many songs from the Collide With The Sky album has to do with actual events. He talks about issues such as suicide and self-harming in his songs. ‘Vic’ wrote many songs about issues he related and tried to discuss them with his fans. One of the songs from the Selfish Machine album talks about the suicide of a young girl who was a fan of the band. He dedicated the song in her honor. “Finding beauty somewhere in the world seems that much more difficult in light of famine, disease, war, and tragedies around the world”(Alternative Press).  Victor has written songs about fans experiences and he uses those to show other fans and reassuring them. Victor also uses his experiences with self-harming to assure other fans who are going through similar things.

129768Spreading love Pinterest Victor Fuentes has shown thousands of fans that you can always find beauty in the world, even after a hard time.  “Finding beauty somewhere in the world seems that much more difficult in light of famine, disease, war, and tragedies around the world ”(Alternative press). Victor talks about finding beauty in the darkness. He found love and beauty in the hate. A person who can do this is so inspirational in my opinion. “But the things that hurt me before just don’t hurt me in the same way now. So I already knew I needed to find the inspiration to do something new”. (Alternative press). Victor has grown from hate and made inspiration from it. A hero is someone who is able to look past hate and take inspiration from it. Victor has looked at hate from people and wrote songs about it. Victor talks about how he takes inspiration from fan letters and even haters. I believe that it takes a very strong person to be able to grow from hate.

Victor Fuentes is an inspiration to myself and thousands of others. He taught us that despite any hard times, it’s going to be okay and to continue on. Victor showed many fans that suicide and self-harm is not the answer.  Victor’s music is an outlet of so many people and showed so many people the beauty of life. It has moved people away from a razor to be clean for 6 months, and that’s a hero in my opinion. He has changed so many lives or even allowing people to continue through their life.

Works cited

Galil, Leor. “Pierce the Veil Talk Internet Haters, Risky New LP.” Rolling Stone, Rolling    

Stone, 25 June 2018, www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/pierce-the-veil-talk-internet-haters-grunge-inspiration-risky-new-lp-192472/.

Wise, Lauren. “Pierce the Veil's Vic Fuentes Explains Why He Writes Songs For

Individual Fans He's Met.” Phoenix New Times, 4, 13 Oct. 2016, www.phoenixnewtimes.com/music/pierce-the-veils-vic-fuentes-explains-why-he-writes-songs-for-individual-fans-hes-met-873251

“Vic Fuentes Details His 'Misadventures' While Writing, Recording PTV's New Album.”

Alternative Press, 7 Aug. 2018, www.altpress.com/features/vic_fuentes_details_his_misadventures_while_writing_recording_ptvs_new_albu/.

Pierce the veil official website - More information on the band
Victor Fuentes - Information on the singer