Vincent Coleman

by Sienna Showman from Canada, Alberta, Rancheview school

"Hold up the train. Ammunition ship afire in harbour making for Pier 6 and will explode. Guess this will be my last message. Good-bye boys."

121926Vincent Coleman Web PageSienna I choose Vincent Coleman because he sacrificed his life for others and that's why he’s my hero. The book that I read was called The Halifax Explosion, it’s a biography and was published in 2003. It has 128 pages. A fun fact the author, Joyce Glasner, is she couldn't have done it without her husband and his support. The book covers the time of Vincent Coleman´s life  when he was with his family in Halifax.

121927Vincent Coleman PortraitSiennaVincent Coleman’s real name was Patrick, but he went by the name Vincent. Vincent’s parents were Daniel Coleman and Agnes (Purcell) Coleman. Vincent had seven siblings: Elizabeth Coleman, James Francis Coleman, Mary Ann Coleman, Christopher J. Coleman, Agnes J. (Coleman) McDonald, Daniel E. G. Coleman and Eleanor Coleman. Vincent was born on March 13, 1872, in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. He died on December 6, 1917 in Halifax, Nova Scotia from The Halifax Explosion. I am sorry, but there isn't that much information about his childhood and this is what I could find. Vincent and his brother Christopher were very close, and after the explosion, Christopher looked for Vincent for days until Christopher found the remains of Vincent. Christopher managed to find his sister-in-law. When they found the remains of Vincent, they burst into tears. That was how worried Christopher was on how much he loved him. Vincent grew up in Halifax. I think Vincent was most influenced by his brother Christopher when Vincent was growing up.

121928Vincent Coleman ActionSiennaI think Vincent got most of his success from his brother Christopher. Christopher influenced Vincent by being a loving big brother.

I think I would like to be his child because it was very organized in their house, but I might have died in the explosion. If I did survive, that would be awesome and also the sad because I wouldn´t have a father. If I met Vincent in person I would ask three questions: If the train didn't come to town that day, would have you run for you life, or stayed and warned more people about the ship exploding?

Vincent Coleman - Wikitree
Vincent Coleman - Wikipedia
Vincent Coleman - Maritime museum
Vincent Coleman - CBC News
Vincent Coleman - Global News