Philosophers

Walt Disney

by Olivia McKittrick from San Diego, California in United States

124808Walt with his amazing familysuccesssstory.com As Walt Disney said, “All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them” (Howes).  Disney did just that, he dedicated his life to making children’s lives happier. He grew up in a large family that he was very close to and loved very much. “He was born December 5, 1901, in Chicago, Illinois, Walter Elias Disney was the fourth of five children born to Elias Disney and Flora Call. Disney's siblings included three older brothers -- Herbert (born 1888), Raymond (born 1889), and Roy (born 1893) -- and a younger sister, Ruth (born 1903). Throughout his lifetime, Walt would remain particularly close to Roy” (“Disney, Walt”). Walt released his first action movie and had major plans to make Disneyland. Finally, in 1955 he opened the well known place called Disneyland.Walt Disney was a creative and devoted man to his work that never stop pursuing his work. Walt Disney is a man who defined the odds and proved everyone wrong by using his creativity to make award winning movies and by devoting his time and talent to building Disneyland a place recognized worldwide for its innovativeness and family friendly atmosphere.

124811Walt Disney people.comWalt Disney showed his creativity through the many movies that he has made and by creating a place where you never have to grow up. Disney made a place where you can forget all your worries and have a magical time with family and friends. In this quote the “Funk & Wagnalls New World Encyclopedia” it states, that  “A huge amusement park called Disneyland in Anaheim, Calif. Featuring historical reconstructions, displays, and rides, it became a famous tourist attraction¨ (¨Disney, Walt¨). Walt Disney turned his movies into a reality. He made his famous characters come to life.  Instead of just watching the cartoons on your TV, you can see them come to life at Disneyland. Walt designed and created characters like no other. Making them different from every other antimatter out there. In this quote, Slayman points out that “Walt Disney was a pioneer in motion picture animation, responsible for the creation of such world-famous characters as Mickey Mouse and the production of the first full-length animation motion picture, ´Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs´” (Slayman).  He never thought his creation of Mickey Mouse would be one of the most famous characters ever created. His creativity even dreamt up a movie that has a princess living with seven dwarfs. Walt Disney is a creative man that is known for making phenomenal movies and developing a wondrous theme park for people to come to and fall in love with.

124812Disney with Mickey inc.comWalt Disney devoted his life to make people happy and smile with the people they love. Walt devoted his life to make amazing movies and a magical place called Disneyland. Disney spent many years making movies like “Mary Poppins” and “Peter Pan”. Making them some of his best works yet with which he won many awards for.  According to the“Funk & Wagnalls New World Encyclopedia” it writes “Beginning in 1950, the company made such live-action films as Treasure Island (1950), Robin Hood (1951), The Shaggy Dog (1959), The Absent-Minded Professor (1961), and Mary Poppins (1964). Animated features of this period included Peter Pan (1953) and The Sword in the Stone (1963). Disney’s company was also responsible for the television series “Davy Crockett,” “The Mickey Mouse Club,” and a long-running weekly production known as “Walt Disney’s Wonderful World of Color” and by various other titles. Disney received 39 Academy Awards¨ (¨Disney, Walt¨). Walt Disney is inspirational because even after he received many Academy Awards he continued to be passionate about producing more amazing movies. When Walt Disney moved to LA, he didn't have much of anything but, with his dream still alive in his head he was devoted to fulfilling it. In this quote Slayman said that “With his last $40, a few drawing materials and a live-action/animated film, Disney left Kansas City in August 1923 for Los Angeles, where his brother Roy was recovering from tuberculosis. Once in L.A., Disney contacted Margaret Winkler, a film distributor in New York, to announce that he was establishing a studio in Los Angeles for the purpose of producing a series of cartoons¨ (Slayman).  Even at his lowest part of his life he still tried to make it in movies industry with the little money he had. He kept on pursuing a dream that people thought he could never reach but of course he proved them wrong all the end. Walt Disney spent so time, power and energy to make wonderful things for the people that he loves. Even Though he received so little he gave so much back.

124814Walt Disney in amazement thisisinsider.comHe was always humble about the praise he received for his acclaimed works. Throughout Disney's career he always had a positive attitude about everything. In the beginning, Disney did not seek after public attention or accolades.”Funk & Wagnalls New World Encyclopedia” states that “Disney remained carefully unfamiliar to the public, being secretive and evasive: "I'm a private sort of person, as anonymous as possible -- and that's not humility" (Disney, Walt).  Despite the stratospheric success of Disney's film in 1964. Disney said in this that he didn't need any attention for the big accomplishments that he made. Disney didn’t want to be noticed yet by anyone yet. He always wanted to keep a low profile. Disney was always happy about what he did and he always had a positive attitude about it. In this quote Slayman point out that “Going along with the gag, he implied that the task was easy for him because he always whistled while he worked: "I don't have depressed moods. I'm happy, just very, very happy (Slayman).” Walt Disney is happy with his work and never said about what he does. It's nice to know that Disney is happy with the things he's doing in his life. Knowing that he enjoyed what he was doing with his life is heartwarming. Walt Disney that was humble and happy about his work.

124815Walt at Disneylandlaughingplace.com Walt Disney is a hero because he overcame a very difficult childhood and with his passion created movies and a world famous park that changed the world.  His iconic movies have last the test of time, and continue to entertain and find new fans even today. He was a driven man who did not allow his dyslexia to stop his dreams from coming true. The website, The Power of Dyslexia agrees when they shared Walt's experience with dyslexia, “Suffering from Dyslexia, Walt Disney is an inspiration to many, as he did not let adversity slow him down on his passion for success in the cartoon and animated film industry” (¨Walt Disney: Dyslexia¨). This shows how his drive to succeed and his tireless work helped him to surpass the many barriers placed before him.  I also suffer with dyslexia, and his drive and determination is an incredible example to me to never give up. His creativity, passion, and humbleness even after many awards were given to him makes him even more of a heroic figure. His cutting edge film making made him one of the most successful men of his time.  Even though he was born in poverty he still worked hard for his family and made a successful living (¨Disney, Walt¨). Walt Disney was a person that had a goal to make everyone happy around him. It is this selfless attitude and his drive to make others happy that also makes him a hero.