Walter Payton

by Gavin O. from Montvale, New Jersey in United States

Have you ever heard of Walter Payton?  Walter was a true hero in his time. He fits my definition of a hero because he is brave, strong, and dependable. He faces challenges by staying calm under pressure. He did so much to help people live their lives better.  That’s why I chose Walter Payton as my hero.

Walter Payton had a very strong background. Walter was born in Columbia, Mississippi on July 25, 1954. His mom’s name was Alyne and his dad's name was Eddie. Walter’s nickname was Sweetness. Also, he attended John Jefferson High School and Columbia High School. He went to college at Jackson State University and played football. Another thing is, he was drafted by the Chicago Bears in 1975. He was one of the best players of all time. Walter died in his home on November 1, 1999.

Walter Payton had a lot of achievements on and off the field over his lifetime. He became a pro football player. He won the Man Of The Year Award in 1997 because of his active charity work. Also,he started  the Walter and Connie Payton Foundation to take a role in helping the less fortunate to find stability.

In conclusion, you can clearly see that Walter Payton is a hero for his charity work. In my opinion he is a real hero and that’s why I chose him. Not only did he play football he also focused on his work with the less fortunate.

130146Walter PaytonESPN.com