Wangari Maathai

Wangari Muta Maathai (1940-2011) was an internationally renowned Kenyan environmental political activist. The founder of the Green Belt Movement, she was a 2004 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate. 

Wangari Maathai
Credit: Kingkongphoto | www.celebrity-photos.com from Laurel MD, USA [CC BY-SA 2.0 ] via Wikimedia Commons

Films celebrating Wangari Maathai

Enjoy these winning films from the MY HERO Film Festival made by students and professionals featuring the remarkable heroism of Wangari Maathai.

Wangari Maathai Tribute Film

Produced by:Collaborative Partnership on Forests

To commemorate and honor the life and work of Professor Wangari Maathai.

Hummingbird [excerpt from dirt! THE MOVIE]

Produced by:Bill Benenson, Gene Rosow and Eleonore Dailly
Wangari Maathai shares a simple story to illustrate a powerful point.

NOBELITY: Wangari Maathai [Excerpt]

Produced by:Turk Pipkin
An Excerpt from the Feature Doc "Nobelity" produced by Turk Pipkin.

Wangari Maathai

Produced by:Will Levitt
Wangari Maathai works to save the earth through awareness and celebration.

View this film to learn how 11 year old Felix from Germany was inspired by Wangari Maathai.

Young Voices for the Planet: Watch this film about Felix from Germany, who was inspired by Wangari Maathai, and hopes to plant 1 million trees. (running time 5 min)

Plant for the Planet
Credit: Wikimedia

Stories Celebrating Wangari Maathai

Wangari Maathai is a hero to students and colleagues alike, and her heroic efforts came from exemplifying the women who inspired her.

Wangari Maathai

By: Guinevere Devlin

A high school student from Henrietta, New York, shares why Wangari Maathai is her hero.

Wangari Maathai

By: Gaurish Gaur

Wangari Maathai is a hero to this high school student from San Diego, California.

Wangari Maathai

By: Frances Moore Lappe

Excerpt from The MY HERO book a chapter written by Francis Moore Lappé on Wangari Maathai.

Heroic Women

By: Wangari Maathai

Nobel Laureate Wangari Maathai writes about the heroic women who have inspired her.

From the Gallery | Art Miles Mural Project Inspires Wangari Tributes

Wangari Maathai is an inspiration to women and environmentalists alike. Her passion and work for a sustainable future and the betterment of the planet, in particular in Kenya, is memorialized through the art work below. Each artwork show how Maathai positively influenced environmental and political initiatives through scenes of nature and Maathai working with others, specifically with women, to education on land preservation. 

Art Miles Mural Project  is a My Hero partner for the HERO MILE. This is one of the murals to be included

Art Miles Mural Project Celebrates Wangari Maathai
Credit: Linda Gallagher

Wangari Maathai by Guinevere D from Henrietta, NY

By: Guinevere Devlin
Portrait of Kenyan environmental and women's activist Wangari Maathai

Wangari Maathai and the Green Belt Movement from the Art Miles Mural Project

By: The Art Miles Mural Project

Global Conservation Hero Wangari Maathai inspires people everywhere to plant trees

Link

The Greenbelt Movement has planted over 30 millions trees in Kenya and serves as a model program for the rest of the world.

Wangari Maathai - GreenbeltMovement.org
Credit: greenbeltmovement.org

Organizer created on 10/25/2017 6:14:24 PM by Vincent

Last edited 11/19/2020 1:11:21 PM by Laura Nietzer