War Dogs

by Derek from Columbia, South Carolina

My heroes are the War Dogs of WWII. They were a major part of the war and helped in many ways. The War Dogs were German Shepherds, Doberman Pinschers, and Huskies. They were trained well and served our country.

The War Dogs’ basic training course consisted on establishing a working relationship between them and the individual soldier, who would be the handler. Obedience was the first element taught. The dogs learned to “heal” while marching. They learned to “lie down,” “stay,” and “recall.” Later on, the dogs learned how to crawl under and jump over obstacles. The dogs had to be perfect, and perfection in each lesson was gained through repetition.

The War Dogs did many great things for the soldiers. For the most part, the dogs saved lives. They safeguarded property, they carried messages under fire, and they detected enemy presence at a far greater rate than at which it could be detected by human senses. They also discovered casualties that could have been overlooked by collecting units. Finally, they assisted in classified projects.

In the southwest Pacific, the scout dogs and their handlers were on patrol 48 out of 53 days. During these patrols, which were led by the scout dogs, approximately 200 Japanese were killed. In another incident on D Day, Andy (a Doberman Pinscher) led M Company all the way to the road block. He altered scattered sniper opposition and prevented loss of life. Also on D Day, Caesar (a German Shepherd) was the only means of communication between M Company and Second Battalion; he carried messages and overlays, and picked up Japanese papers between the two units.

The War Dog is not a pet. These dogs are trained for combat and to trust and take orders from one man, their individual handlers. The basis of all training and performance is that relationship between the dog and his trained handler.

The War Dogs are important to me because they were heroes. These dogs helped so many during a time when lives were lost. Many of the dogs died serving our country, and for the most part, people do not realize that they played such an important role. I love animals and am very proud that these dogs helped the soldiers.