Welles Remy Crowther

by Grant from Saddle River, New Jersey in United States

125181Welles Remy Crowtherhttps://www.firstgiving.com/organization/redbandanna

Who is Welles Remy Crowther?  Welles Remy Crowther is my hero.  The reason he is my hero is because he was a risk taker, a volunteer, and he is inspirational.  When Welles was a senior in high school he was a role model to everyone. Welles’ father was a volunteer firefighter and that had a big influence on his life.  When Welles was in high school he joined the Empire Hook and Ladder Company where his dad was a firefighter. Welles worked at Sandler O'Neill and partners on the 104th floor of the south World Trade Center.  On September 11, 2001, Welles was in the World Trade Center when a plane captured by terrorists crashed into the south tower. At that moment he sprung into action with the red bandana he carried around everywhere as a kid.  To this day he inspires boys and girls across the world to help others in need.

First, Welles Crowther was a risk taker.  Welles would risk his life when he was a volunteer at the Empire Hook and Ladder Company fire house in Nyack, NY.  Wells Fought fires and dealt with emergency situations. On the day of 9/11 2001 Welles was in the south tower when the plane captured by terrorists crashed in to the tower.  When the plane crashed into the tower, Welles put his red bandanna on and sprung into action. He carried 2 people down 78 flights of stairs and led 18 others down 75 flights of stairs. When Welles was a child he got a red bandanna from his dad and kept it all his life. While everyone was running out of the World Trade Center, Welles was going up and down flights of stairs saving as many people as he could.

Second, Welles was a volunteer. The reason Welles was a volunteer is because all his life he would volunteer for fire companies, charities, and lots more. He spent most of his volunteer time with the Empire Hook and Ladder Company. When he first started volunteering at the Empire Hook and Ladder Company he was not appreciated. When he got the chance to be put into action, he saved all the people in a building fire. Right after this event he became the most appreciated member in the fire house. Welles decided to volunteer for the fire house and charities because his dad had a big influence on him. When Welles was a little boy his dad would take him to visit the firehouse where he was a volunteer. His dad is the reason that Welles took action on 9/11. When Welles’ mother heard about the tower she knew right away that he was in the tower being a hero. She also knew that he would not come out alive, but she knew he would die a hero.

Third, Welles inspires kids and adults today to help others and to be kind. Many people today look up to Welles wishing they could be as brave as he was. Welles has a foundation that his parents created after his death called Charitable Trust. Welles is inspiring many people to face their fears and be brave. Welles has many plaques in the United States where people visit or pass by on their way to school.  Many people take five minutes of their day to honor Welles and his family for his brave action.

In conclusion, Welles is a hero to many.  He is a risk taker, a volunteer, and he is inspirational. Even though Welles is not alive today he still inspires many people. If Welles was alive today he would participate in more brave actions just like before his life ended. The moment the plane hit the South Tower he sprung into action without any thought. He used his experience to find people and assure them down the stairs to working elevators. These qualities of duty and caring for others was a big part of his character throughout his life. This is why Welles Remy Crowther is my hero.   

Jones, Dow. Charitable trust. [Online] Available https://www.firstgiving.com/organization/redbandanna.

Genovese, Nick. Who did Welles save. Nick.1

Nonan, Peggy. Remembering a hero. [Online] Available https://www.wsj.com/articles/remembering-a-hero-15-years-after-9-11-1473377444.