Essays on the Theme of Heroism

What Is A Hero

by Caroline Graham from Charlotte, NC

“Only a life lived for others is worth living.” That is what a hero does. Living their lives for others. A hero can be depended on any time of the day.  A hero is not at all cowardly, lazy, nor arrogant. Rather, many heroes fight for the sake of others, not themselves: Harriet Tubman, The Incredibles, and Superman. My Nana is a perfect model of a heroic figure. Much like historical and fictional characters of the modern day, she saves the day for many around her by lending a helpful hand.  Her gentle, giving spirit, friendliness, and selfless heart are qualities that inspire me and show me what the true definition of a hero is.

One feature of my Nana is her giving spirit. She always shows this trait in everything she does. For example, one year we were moving and she allowed us to use her house. She generously allowed us to use her food, beds, electricity, water, car, and many other essential appliances. She was extremely gracious to allow us to use her calming and peaceful mountain house. It was such a blessing to us. She also always has a room of gifts for all kinds of people. Even people she doesn’t really know. Whatever the occasion, she has it: gifts for birthdays, Christmas, anniversaries, etc. She is always prepared for any occasion. For instance, one time my family was in Florida during my birthday.  My cousins, aunt, uncle, and grandparents were also there. One day, we were sitting by the pool and my Nana gave me a bag. I questionably opened the bag and peeked inside. She had brought a gift on the plane all the way to Florida. And all for me. It was so kind of her to do that and showed me the giving spirit she has always had. One day, I hope I have the same touch of a giving spirit, so I can bless people with gifts and help others like she always does.

Nana has always had a friendly personality. Whenever anyone comes up to say hi to her in a restaurant or store or anything, she will stop what she is doing and says hi and sometimes even has a conversation with people she knows or doesn’t know.  She doesn’t care about anyone’s social status; she is a friend to everyone and gives out a special love towards them. For example, we were recently at Smithfield’s BBQ and someone came to say hi. She dropped her fork, talked for about 15 minutes to them, and even held their sweet, little baby girl.  Before I knew it, there was Nana, bouncing a baby on her knee because she couldn’t resist loving on everyone she comes in contact with. She showed her true, friendly colors that day to that family and even to me. Whenever she taught as an educator, she would treat the kids with this same, selfless heart. Even people who have different political views than her, she still treats them with the same friendly spirit. It is truly amazing how God has gifted her with this friendly trait.

Last, but certainly not least, my Nana shines out the gift of a selfless heart. I remember one year, Nana had serious back surgery. She had a brace for about a year and yet she cooked a whole Thanksgiving dinner for about 21 people and was going around the house like nothing was bothering her. She even hosted Christmas and entertained guests. Every once in a while I would spot her taking a little break, but she still kept moving forward. If that is not an example of selflessness, I do not know what is. One other time, my sister had broken her arm -- for the second time -- and Nana offered to drive all the way down the curvy, mountain roads and then to Charlotte. That was a big offer she had put out on to the plate. We -- of course -- said no because it was such a long drive but it was so thoughtful of her to offer and showed, once again, a selfless heart to us. This trait, this gift of a charitable heart, is a part of her personality that I envy and wish I had too.

Nana ’s generous spirit, outgoing personality, and charitable heart has influenced and encouraged me. My Nana has inspired me to always be prepared for any bumps or hurdles that may come into my life. Also, I should always trust in God through the good times and the bad times. She has shown me that even if you do not like a person or do not agree with them you should still be kind and talk to them. She has truly shown me how a hero should act no matter what the circumstances. I will always look up to her as my Nana and my hero.

Caroline Graham is a sophisticated 7th-grade writer. She has two siblings (a younger brother and sister), a dog and two loving parents. Last year she suffered a great loss of her fish, David. The devastating loss was hard at first but she soon got over it and spent long mental hours on school work. She now lives with her puppy Barrows, who never ever listens when letting outside, and the rest of her family. She has many friends, is in a choir, and was in Odyssey of the Mind for a time. She told an interviewer that her viral essay was "written to tell the world that her Nana is absolutely AMAZING!" She hopes that you have enjoyed her heroic essay about her Nana.