Essays on the Theme of Heroism

What Is A Hero To Me

by Lulu Rice from Charlotte, North Carolina

Do you have that one friend that never stops listening to you or loving you, no matter what?  Friends are a big part of everyone's life. At least you know that someone cares about you. Friends are supposed to love, care, and support you. There are ups, there are downs, and that’s what makes a real friendship.  This is what a true hero is.  My best friend is my hero. Ava McNeilly is a lifesaver, has a heart of love, and has a faith-filled spirit. 

To me, a lifesaver is someone that protects you from a personal controversy or a dispute. That’s the first word that comes to mind when I think of Ava. She always has a positive attitude, no matter what the situation is. Every time she sees me with the slightest amount of ache or sadness… she just hugs me and tells me that everything is going to be okay. There was a girl that I knew since I was two years old. I labeled her as my best friend. Recently, she stopped talking to me. I felt as if part of my life was gone; I went into this weird stage of grief. Ava was there for me. She stood by my side, and she never walked away from me. It was a very tough time for me, and I couldn't have done it without her. During this issue with my now ex-best friend, Ava and I also hit a rocky patch. I don't really know what happened, but one day we were fine and the next day something happened. I recall a time that Ava was looking at me from one end of the hall. She knew that I was upset--she just saw it in my eyes-- she immediately ran up to me. Ava said that everything was going to be okay, and then she gave me goldfish. I was fine after that. She is the sweetest person I know and I don’t know how she does it, but she always finds a way to make me happy in the saddest moments.

The definition of being loving is Ava. About a month ago, I found out that people that I thought were my friends, were actually talking about me behind my back. This whole time Ava has been the only friend that hasn't lied, deceived, and manipulated me. I learned that Ava is the only one that I can tell secrets to and truly talk to. I know that she cares; personally I think that’s all that matters. She hugs me when I’m feeling upset, she comforts me when I find out that people are talking about me….. she always stays positive. That encourages me to be happy and care about others. I always go to Ava about my arguments, half of the stuff that I tell her is ridiculous, yet she always listens and never walks away from me from being annoyed. 

Ava’s faith is her number one priority. Once Ava, Claudia, and I were having a sleepover. We started a conversation about God, the antichrist, etc. The whole conversation was very insightful. I enjoyed hearing what Ava had to say about her faith. She truly loves God and I can see her never giving up on her faith. She’s that type of person that is never scared to go up to a person of any religion and tell them about God. Every Sunday Ava goes to church; if there is a personal controversy, Ava uses what she learned at church to knead the situation. So many people have judged Ava, yes we have talked about it. They antagonize her, they lie to her, they try to manipulate her, but she always says that no matter what she will never give up on God. Nor will she stop believing in God’s plan for her. 

Hero- a person who is admired or idealized for courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities. While writing this essay I’ve truly thought about the question,” What Is a Hero To Me?”  To me a hero is someone that protects you from lying, deceiving, and watches over you. Many people believe that a hero is a marine, a knight, a warrior. Well, they are heroes, but it’s not the same. Ava takes away my stress, my sadness, and my ache. She gives me inspiration everyday to become a better person. When you get to know Ava, you realize how incredible she is. She truly has changed my life; if I didn’t have an Ava in my life, I honestly don’t know what I would do with myself. There are many extraordinary people out there including: firemen, cops, surgeons. At the top of the list is my HERO -- Ava Mcneilly.