William Young

by Alexis Rudd from Swift Current, Saskatchewan in Canada

144422William YoungI have written permission to use this photo.My hero is my friend, William Young. I never thought I had a hero, but after thinking about it for a while, I realized that I do. I look up to William because of everything he has overcome and the person I have watched him grow to be. He is one of the funniest people I know and he is always there to talk when I need to.

William is 17 and lives in Nebraska. Even though there is a large distance between us, I consider us to be very close friends. We bonded through video games, which means we have spent countless hours talking about anything and everything. We started playing games in June of 2020. Since there was no school and COVID-19 limited our options of things to do, we were always playing something like Fortnite or Call of Duty. 

Throughout our friendship, I have watched William become more confident in himself and he encourages me to do the same. He stands up for what he believes in, which is something that I respect. William’s sense of style is something that I think everyone can appreciate. He is always wearing something that makes him stand out and he never has a boring outfit. He isn’t afraid to be himself and I admire that about him.

William and I have been there for each other through our ups and downs, and I have seen him push through his low points and come out even stronger than before. He can always help me when I’m down and he knows how to cheer me up. Whenever I need advice, he knows exactly what to say and helps me think more logically. He has such a good sense of humor that always makes me laugh.

Even though William hasn’t done super heroic acts like Batman or Superman, I still look up to him. He is someone who I would like to be like in the future because of his sense of humor, ability to push through hard situations, and his confidence. I can only hope that more people will see how good of a person William is and how much he has impacted my life since getting to know him in June.