william wallace

by jacob from commerce city

"Freedom is the best I tell thee of all things to be won, then never live within the bond of slavery my son." A famous quote from a great man. William Wallace, a man that fought for his land and his freedom. Wallace fought against the English so that they won't make them into slaves and claim Scotland as their land. The word hero means that someone makes a difference in someone's life.That's what hero means to me.

The things that my hero did was fight for his and other Scottish people's freedom. During the late 1200's and the early 1300's the English had been trying to take Scotland away so that they could have even more land. But the Scottish people wouldn't let them take their land and make them into slaves. They went to war with the English. In the year 1297, William Wallace's wife was executed for killing an English soldier. This brought William Wallace into the war with the English and he received a few victories proclaiming to his wife's death. William Wallace and his army went to war with the English so that they wouldn't take their land and their families away.The Scots went to war, to fight for their and their famlies' freedom. Therefore, that is what my hero did.

My hero lived in Scotland. He was born in Scotland around the 1270. William Wallace was born in Scotland. He lived their until his father died, then Wallace went with his uncle and traveled with him. He traveled to Rome and Paris with his uncle to do trading. Then once he was old enough he went back and married a Scottish girl. They married each other in secret because the girl's parents didn't like William Wallace. Then the English executed her and brought William into the war to revenge his wife's death. That's where William Wallace lived and what happened to during his lifetime.

William Wallace was executed on August 23, 1305. Wallace was betrayed by a Scottish knight. The Scottish knight was in service of the English king. After Wallace was executed, his body parts were quartered out and were sent to towns and bridges. His head was impaled on a spike near the London bridge, his right arm on the bridge by Newcastle-upon-Tyne. His left arm went to Berwick, the left leg at Abudem, and his right leg went to Perth. Edward was the knight that betrayed Wallace. But since the English executed Wallace so barbarically, Edward had martyred a popular Scots military hero in to set the Scottish people free. That's what happened to William Wallace.

This person is important to me because he fought for his freedom. He reminds me of my ancestors that fought for their land. Also the soldiers that are fighting against terrorists for America's freedom. They made a difference in my life by showing me that no one can take yours or my liberty away. As long as we fight or do whatever for our freedom. That's why William Wallace is one of my heroes.