Health

Wilma Rudolph

by Sinead from Dublin

A hero is someone who is just an ordinary person who wasn’t intending to be a hero and then something happened or occurred that made them a hero. They are passionate, courageous, humble, and they persevere. A hero that I think has all of those characteristics is Wilma Rudolph, an American track and field athlete.

Wilma Glodean Rudolph was born on June 23rd 1940 in Saint Bethlehem, TN. 54 years later she died on November 12, 1994 at Brentwood, TN. Her Education was at Tennessee State University. Wilma was a track and field athlete, and had four children; Yolanda, Djuanna, Xurry Eldridge and Robert Eldridge jr.  Wilma was married to William Ward (1961-1963) & Robert Eldridge (1963-1980) .

Wilma Rudolph was stricken with double pneumonia, scarlet fever and polio as a child. She had problems with her left leg and had to wear a brace and was very courageous. But she won 3 gold medals in the Olympics. She persevered through her rough time and conquered her fears, becoming the youngest member of the U.S. Olympic track and field team.

Wilma never boasted, bragged, or talked about how hard her life was because she was humble. She could have just given up at that point but she kept on pursuing her dreams and working toward her goal.

Wilma Rudolph was one of the most recognized track and field stars and she is definitely a hero because after she had all of those diseases she still kept on going. I think any kids with illnesses shouldn't let that stop them, they should be brave and most of all courageous. Thank you for reading Wilma Rudolph.