Winston Churchill

by Maximillian Morgado from Tampa, Florida in United States

127902Winston Churchill, cigar in mouth, gives his famous 'V' for victory sign.https://www.telegraph.co.uk Photo: PAMy hero is Winston Churchill. He was artistic, intelligent speech writer and a great leader during both world wars. Churchill liked to paint landscapes. He was a young statesman and joined Parliament's House of Commons at the age of 26 (Labrecque, pages 26-27). In 1910, Churchill gave a powerful speech that sounded like USA democracy. "The House of Lords regards all our liberties and political rights as enjoyed ... only so long as they choose to let us go on having them. But once we touch...their interests and privileges - Out!" (Churchill, January 10, 1910). Churchill was trying to strip power from the aristocrats.

Winston Churchill was elected Prime Minister of Britain after Neville Chamberlain failed to be a good wartime leader. Churchill's first speech as Prime Minister told the people of England that they had to fight back against Nazi Germany. "Victory at all costs - Victory in spite of all terror - Victory, however long and hard the road my be, for without victory there is no survival."  On June 18, 1940, Nazi Germany had defeated France and Winston Churchill gave my favorite speech to the British people. To boost morale, Winston said, "Let us therefor brace ourselves to our duties,...if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, "This was their finest hour"." 

Weeks after the bombing of Pearl Harbor, Churchill spoke to the U.S. Congress and said, "In the days to come, the British and American peoples will for their own safety and for the good of all, walk together side by side in majesty, in justice and in peace." This was important to show support to the US against Japan, like the USA supported Great Britain against Nazi Germany. In 1944, the allies launched a huge invasion to take France from the Nazis. Winston Churchill had envisioned defeating the Nazis when he delivered my second favorite speech. "When the signal is given, the whole circle of avenging nations will hurl themselves at the foe and batter out the life of the cruelest tyranny which has ever sought to bar the progress of mankind." (Extra Credit History, Episode D Day - 1: The Great Crusade, posted 6/6/2017) "We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans,...we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds...we shall never surrender." (Wikipedia, We shall fight on the beaches). Winston Churchill is my hero because he was a great leader that encouraged people to not give up.

Labrecque, Ellen. Who Was Winston Churchill.New York, New York: Penguin Young Readers Group, 2015.

Portnow, James. D-Day - I:  The Great Crusade - Extra History. [Online] Available https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KY1pDLulF4.2017.

Churchill, Winston. We shall fight on the beaches. [Online] Available https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_shall_fight_on_the_beaches.1940.