LESSON PLAN

World Food Day Lesson Plan for Teachers

Multimedia Resources and Lesson Plan for Elementary, Middle and High School Students. Includes discussion questions and learning outcomes.

This year, World Food Day calls for action across sectors to make healthy and sustainable diets affordable and accessible to everyone.  

Credit: Oxfam

Students read the following stories and consider the discussion questions and activities. 

The story about Robin Emmons is available in text and audio, so students can listen to the story as they read. Great for ESL/ELL students.

Marcus Samuelsson

By: Jane Wallace from New York

Marcus Samuelsson is an Ethiopian-born, Swedish-raised chef and restaurant owner who focuses on the food needs of the world.

Jon Bon Jovi

By: Staff

The Soul foundation runs two "JBJ Soul Kitchens" in New Jersey. At these nonprofit, community restaurants, diners pay for their "farm-to-table" meals by volunteering or giving a donation.

Robin Emmons

By: Sydney from Roseville

This story about Robin Emmons, an organic farmer who has created a foundation to fight hunger, is available in text and audio so students can listen and read along.

Students watch one or all of the following three films before considering the discussion questions and activities. 

Growing a Healthy Community

Produced by:Light House Studio

A documentary about Growing for CHANGE made by students in the Westhaven Community.

Taaru Askan

Producer: Nicole Dewing and Hamza Azeroual

A 5-minute video on the mission and the activities of Taaru Askan Organic Farm in Senegal, West Africa.

Edible City - Joy Moore

Produced by:Andrew Hasse

Food activist Joy Moore, teaches gardening and nutrition to high schoolers at Berkeley Technology Academy.

Discussion Questions and Activities

1. Do you know someone who fights hunger in your community? Share their story with MY HERO.

2. How does having access to fresh vegetables and fruit improve a person's life?  

3. Does your school or community have a garden to grow vegetables? If so, share the story with MY HERO. If not, what can you do to start a garden at school? Talk to your teachers, create an action plan, get support and share your efforts with MY HERO. 

4. Research organizations and people who are working to fight hunger around the world. Who do you admire and why? Share the story of your hero with MY HERO. 

5. Research sustainable farming practices globally and their impact on a community.

Food Story for Young Readers - by a Young Reader

John Chapman (Johnny Appleseed)

By: Jacob from Westerville
John Chapman (Johnny Appleseed) is a much loved American hero and legend.

Elementary-age students are encouraged to use the story about Johnny Appleseed as a model to write about their hero, along with original illustrations, to submit to MY HERO.

Posters and Artwork that illustrate the concerns about our food today

Students analyze the following artwork and posters that demonstrate concerns about food and hunger. Students create posters to submit to MY HERO and hang in their school, in order to educate others about food issues, such as hunger, healthy food options and sustainable farming. 

Hungry? October 16 is World Food Day

By: unknown

Farmers Feeding the World

By: AgWeb

Know Your Seafood- Sustainable fish choices

By: One World One Ocean

Zapatista Women, Roots to Resistance Postcard & Poster Campaign

By: Denise Beaudet

Learning Outcomes

Students will identify people in their community and around the world working to end hunger. Students will develop research skills as they explore heroes making advancements in sustainable farming and ending hunger

Outstanding essays submitted to MY HERO will be considered for a certificate/t-shirt prize or be featured on the Story Homepage.

Submit your artwork to be entered in the MY HERO art contest or to be exhibited on our Gallery Homepage.

Students can submit their films for free with a waiver to the MY HERO International Film Festival.

Laura Nietzer

The World Food Day lesson plan was created by MY HERO Teacher and Learning Circle Director Laura Nietzer.

Links

UN World Food Day 2019 Activity Book: Eating Healthy Matters
Credit: UN
UN Sustainable Development Goal 2: Zero Hunger
Credit: UN

Food and Agricultural Organization of the UN
Credit: FAO

Learn about a New Hero Every Day of the Year: Use the MY HERO Calendar in the Classroom

Students can share their Hero Essays, Films and Art through our Create Program

Organizer created on 9/6/2019 2:58:44 PM by Laura Nietzer

Last edited 4/30/2020 2:18:45 PM by Laura Nietzer