World Kindness Day 11/13

Observed to highlight good deeds and the power of kindness to transcend religion, race, nationality.

Professor of Neurosurgery, James Doty, M.D., tells a touching story of how one interaction can alter the course of a person’s life.
Unexpected Kindness
Credit: Uplift TV

Learn about World Kindness Day through a Hero Story

Intro

This is a story about a chef  named Bruno Serato, who began a long-running tradition of feeding the “motel children” of homeless families so that each child could have a nourishing, satisfying meal at least once a day. And in addition, this generous individual also helps the elderly and visiting athletes who come to compete in his area.

Bruno Serato is a chef who provides a free spaghetti dinner to 300 needy children at his restaurant every night, 7 nights a week.
Bruno Serato
Credit: Greg Gorman [CC BY-SA 4.0] via Wikimedia Commons

Questions

How does this story communicate to others the kindness that any community member might extend  to help those in need?

How important are stories like these about people who step up to help without expecting anything in return Do these selfless acts demonstrate the kindness in the human heart? What were Bruno Serato's personal traits that made him a hero?

How can stories like these, about positive role models, encourage others to think about how they can make a positive difference based on their own desires, skills and interests?  How can a student or a classroom help to feed the homeless-perhaps  staging a food drive and bringing the items to the local food bank or a nearby homeless shelter?

Outcome

Stories about local heroes like Bruno Serato inspire us to want to make a difference. His ability and decision to make a long-term commitment to the homeless children of his community inspires other members of the community to spend not only their money but their time, energy and dedication to give disadvantaged children the help and stability they need so much.

Want to learn more? More stories, art, films about kindness.

The Face of Kindness

By: Isabel Montes

BE KIND to ANIMALS - a kindness pledge

By: Unknown
Anti- Cruelty Society poster pledging kindness to animals

Sticky notes promote acts of kindness in schools

By: Arthur Foulkes<br> Associated Press<br> <h5>Permission to use this material<...
SPPRAK, a not-for-profit program in Terre Haute, Ind., literally 'notes' random acts of kindness by students, teachers, and staff.

Kindness Letters Combat Bullying

By: Photo courtesy of Boys & Girls Club of Laguna Beach TLC Branch<br>Credit: Da...

Kindness and Heroism

By: May Traboulsi
We decided that Being a hero is about being kind and helpful

Shirley Temple

By: Sam from San Diego
Shirley Temple was a child star who brought happiness to all and a woman who spent her life helping others.

Jennifer Porter

By: Stephanie from Lindon
Jennifer Porter is a hero to her daughter, Stephanie, because of the way she humbly cares for her family and others.

Organizer created on 10/3/2018 4:53:10 PM by MY HERO Staff

Last edited 11/12/2018 10:50:17 PM by Xenia Shin