World Oceans Day | June 8

A global day of ocean celebration and collaboration for a better future.

Credit: Michal Strzelecki, Wojtek Strzelecki i Jerzy Strzelecki [CC BY 3.0]

The 2021 Theme for World Oceans Day The Ocean: Life and Livelihoods

Teachers: Visit the free MY HERO Lesson Plan for World Oceans Day. Includes discussion guide and learning outcomes.

These films feature innovative people and organizations who are committed to preserving and protecting sustainability of the ocean.

Blue Ventures

Gabriel Diamond

In 2004, marine biologist Alasdair Harris encouraged a coastal Madagascar community to close off a small section of their octopus-fishing area for a few months to see if this would boost productivity.

Looking After Our Environment: James Price Point

Produced by:Mark Pearce
Mark Jones speaks out against a gas development complex that spells doomsday for some species living around James Price Point.

freeFLY

Avery Bazan
A collaboration between Oceans Unmanned and DJI utilizing drones to help entangled humpback whales.

Defending The Deep

Will Parrinello

Claire Nouvian led a focused, data-driven advocacy campaign against the destructive fishing practice of deep-sea bottom trawling, successfully pressuring Intermarché to change its fishing practices. 

Gwala Rising in the Bwanabwana Islands

Produced by:Whitney Yadao-Evans, Niquole Esters, and Jennifer Shoemaker
Gwala Rising in the Bwanabwana Islands depicts the revitalization of traditional conservation practices in the islands of Papua New Guinea.

Stories | These ocean heroes work to maintain biodiversity through creative means.

Trash Heroes

By: Elias Amador
Trash Heroes is an international, volunteer-led organization that mobilizes youth in over 12 countries to clean and prevent plastic waste in their communities.

Help Mary Save Coral

By: Amanda Molinaro from Irvine
Help Mary Save Coral works to repopulate the world's coral.

Alexandra Cousteau

By: Slater Jewell-Kemker
Alexandra Cousteau was honored as an Earth Trustee by the UN for her work to protect the oceans.

Listen & Read Along | These stories have text and audio so you can listen as you read along. Great for ESL and ELL students.

Jacques Cousteau

By: Jeff Trussell

Jacques Cousteau pioneered marine conservation, underwater sea explorer, born 1910. [This story is also available in Spanish and French.]

Sylvia Earle

By: Edward Ortiz

"The key is to see ourselves as a part of the natural systems that support us." [This story is also available in Spanish and French.]

Rachel Carson

By: Wendy Jewell
Rachel Carson, author of Silent Spring, was the mother of the environmental movement.

Art | Photographers illustrate the beauty of the ocean and pay tribute to the ocean conservation efforts in shoreline communities.

Untitled

By: Patsee Ober

Patsee Ober uses her underwater camera to illustrate the rich life beneath the surface of the Pacific Ocean.

Henry the Harbor Seal by Alex Cowdell, Laguna Blue

By: Alex Cowdell

The Laguna Bluebelt honored this photograph in its annual ocean photography competition because it aptly captured the harbor seal in the kelp forest.

Blue Glass by Noah Munivez, Laguna Bluebelt

By: Noah Munivez

This iconic ocean photo received 1st prize in the Amateur category of the 2018 Laguna Bluebelt contest.

Rock Bottom by Bryan Greenberg, Laguna Bluebelt

By: Bryan Greenberg

Bryan Greenberg's award-winning photo shows the shoreline with its awesome rocks in a powerful and beautiful moment, for the Laguna Bluebelt's conservation efforts.

Learn about the Sylvia Earle Ocean Conservation Award in the

MY HERO International Film Festival!

LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD - VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE OCEAN FINALIST

Sylvia Earle Ocean Conservation Award
Earle-CFE-Ongoing
Credit: myhero

Related Links | Click on the images below to learn more

World Oceans Day
Credit: worldoceansday.org
The United Nations Celebrates World Oceans Day
Credit: un.org

Organizer created on 3/14/2013 10:08:07 AM by Becky Miller

Last edited 5/20/2021 4:33:19 PM by Wendy Milette