World Refugee Day | June 20

World Refugee Day commemorates the strength, courage and perseverance of millions of forcibly displaced refugees around the world. According to UNHCR, there are 68.5 million forcibly displaced people, of which 25 million are refugees. Over half of all refugees are from South Sudan, Afghanistan and Syria.

World Refugee Day Curated Showcase
Credit: DFID - UK Department for International Development [CC BY 2.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)]

Stories

Have you ever wondered who came up with the lines on the Statue of Liberty? "Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free..." Read about Emma Lazarus who took the plight of refugees as the subject of her poem, "The New Colossus."

Emma Lazarus

By: Olivia from San Antonio

Emma Lazarus took up the plight of refugees in New York City in her poem, "The New Colossus." Little did she know that this poem would be on the Statue of Liberty.

According to the UN, 2/3 of refugees come from just five countries: Syria, Afghanistan, South Sudan, Myanmar and Somalia. Here are three stories about refugees from Syria, Sudan and Somalia.

Syrian refugees help bail out German towns amid massive flooding

By: Olivia Lowenberg, Staff

Dominic Deng Diing, a refugee in the U.S., educates 3,000 children back in South Sudan

By: Amy Lieberman

Andrew Adansi-Bonnah

By: Francis Kokutse <br> Associated Press<br> <h5>Permission to use this materia...

Andrew Adansi-Bonnah is a Ghana schoolboy who launched his own Somalia famine fundraiser.

The inspiring story of Paul Rusesabagina, half Tutsi, half Hutu, who saved the lives of more than 1200 Rwandans who took refuge in his hotel during the genocide in Rwanda. 

Paul Rusesabagina

By: Kathy Crockett, The My Hero Project

Paul Rusesabagina saved the lives of more than 1200 Rwandans who took refuge in his hotel.

These films offer a glimpse into the overwhelming plight of refugees around the world.

No exit: Jordan’s most vulnerable refugees -

Produced by:Liz Mermin | Thomson Reuters Foundation

Jayne Fleming is the leader of the Reed Smith Refugee Protection Project, a mobile legal clinic offering legal and psychosocial support to some of Jordan’s most vulnerable refugees.

NOW I AM A REFUGEE

Produced by:Dir. Christian Als & Kristoffer Juel

Knowing they may never be able to return home, many refugees have decided to set out on the dangerous and perilous journey for a new life in Europe.

Noisia - Mantra

Sil van der Woerd

This expressionistic film offers the point of view of the refugees in crisis. Mantra chronicles the dangerous obstacles refugees face on their journeys to reach safer harbors.

HIAS - For the Refugee

Moth

This film was produced for World Refugee Day, to publicise and spread awareness on HIAS' mission and values for the last 130 years.

Art created by world refugees in different parts of the globe to illustrate the hopes and dreams of settling into a new life

The Global Refugee Mural

By: Joel Bergner

The Global Refugee Mural created by Joel Bergner with Action Ashe! Global Mural Project is in Maryland.

A Cross-Cultural Festival of Japanese Students and Palestinian Refugees in Syria

By: Sherry's English School in Japan and UNRWA Schools in Syria

Celebrating refugees hopes and dreams, students paint a mural depicting a Cross-Cultural Festival.

Klimt's Adele Bloch-Bauer tapestry by refugee artists from Burundi, Ruwanda and the DRC hosted by Umcebo, South Africa

By: Refugee Social Services / Umcebo - South Africa

Our Dreams and Treasures by Students from Japan and iraq/Palestine

By: Okazakijosei High School in Japan and Iraqi/Palestinian Refugee Team in Jord...

Links

USA for UNHCR The UN Refugee Agency
Credit: UNHCR.org

Learn about a New Hero Every Day of the Year: Use the MY HERO Calendar in the Classroom

Organizer created on 6/17/2015 7:08:45 AM by Jeanne Meyers

Last edited 11/11/2019 2:33:53 PM by Laura Nietzer