Benjamin Yeung

by Max from Overland Park

Ben Yeung, he’s a kid who’s bright, kind, and one heck of a good friend.

Benjamin Yeung
Benjamin Yeung

Ben, first, has absolutely no right to deny the fact that he is a smart kid based upon the fact that he has moved, and skipped grades. He was at one point two grades ahead, though when he moved to Kansas, he was moved back a grade due to cut-offs. In the 6th grade he beat the entire school in the geography bee. Our school goes through 8th grade. He then beat the entire 6th grade in the vocabulary bee, and received 3rd place in the school spelling bee. Now that alone is enough to be admired for.

Ben was a very shy person at first, and I couldn’t blame him for that. He was new and had just moved to our school in the 3rd grade. (I had just moved there about 2 months earlier.) Neither of us had very many friends, but as it goes, we were seated next to each other in class and we became friends. I found out that Ben is a laid-back, easygoing kind of person. Later, I found out that he is a very intelligent and thoughtful person.

Ben is also a kind and giving person. Ben has done a lot of community service through projects like Mary’s Food Kitchen (a building that cooks food for those who need it). And when speaking to him in an interview, he was proud of “…being a nice guy.” He received the Presidential Service Award for his community service. He was also, to top it all off, a student ambassador.

There is one interesting thing, though. It was quite apparent to me and not many other people saw it, but Ben had a wild side. One day, Ben came over to my house and we played some videogames. If I remember correctly, we were playing a racing game. Ben got himself worked up in a way I had never seen before. I was, in a way, surprised to see a side of Ben that I had never seen before as long as I had known him. Then I decided we should play some basketball. This basketball was playing with a foam Nerf ball on a collapsible hoop that hung on the back of a door. I had duck taped it so it would not collapse and fold down when you dunked. This game just put Ben over the edge. He went all out. We pushed, shoved, picked up, threw, scratched and blocked each other. After about a half hour of this extreme game of basketball, we were scratched, bruised, and possibly bleeding. We then decided to play a nice, relaxed game of chess.

Finally, Ben is very concerned for the well-being of the people around him. He does many things to help others such as volunteering at a food kitchen, and doing runs that donate the money collected to organizations such as The Cancer Foundation.

Ben has an open mind and is always there for me as a friend, helping me sort out the worst of problems. For example, I had a “situation” where someone was being a little bit annoying and I could not get that person to stop without hurting his or her feelings. In no time at all that person was off my back. Ben is a compassionate person and always gives great advice.

In conclusion:

Ben,
Short, intelligent,
Thinking, assisting, donating
Being a great friend
Yeung

For information on cinquains:

Fultz, M. (n.d.). Retrieved Sep. 22, 2005, from OSWEGO Web site: http://oswego.org/staff/mfultz/elaactivity2/ela%20activity%20cinquain.doc.

(B. Yeung, personal communication)