Jewel Kilcher

by Abby from San Diego

Jewel performing (http://y95country.com/tags/movies/ ())

By fulfilling her dreams, Jewel Kilcher also fulfilled her grandmother's dream for their family: an accomplishing life in a free country. Jewel is a singer-songwriter, pop sensation in the 1990's. Jewel Kilcher was born on the 23rd of May, 1974 to mother Nedra Carroll and father Atz Kilcher in Payson, Utah. She went from growing up in Alaska, to getting a partial scholarship to a school in Michigan at age 15, to hitchhiking to San Diego to be with her mother. She was singing in coffee shops in San Diego while living in a van when she got signed by Atlantic Records in 1994 and became a loved singer/songwriter. A hero must possess strength and determination in their life. Jewel Kilcher is a hero for the ability to find happiness in the world during harsh times, showing responsibility, and giving her fans hope and strength.

Jewel stayed strong and stuck with her passion even when the world seemed hopeless. After college she moved to San Diego to get a job and start her life. "My boss fired me because I wouldn't sleep with him, and I ended up homeless for a year. I kept writing songs, and started singing in a local coffee shop called The Inner Change Cafe." Jewel found happiness in a situation where most people would have given up. She had faith in herself and refused to give up on her dream. When she was younger she still had the same passionate mind set on her dreams, "When Jewel was eight, her parents divorced. She turned to song and poetry for an escape" Jewel again shows her strength by staying with her passion during unbearable times. To stay strong is challenging, even more so at a young age. Ever since Jewel was little, she always showed a strong heart and dedication.

Jewel (http://www.librarising.com/astrology/celebs/jewelkilcher.html ())

Jewel shows modesty when it comes to her work by not letting her fans get involved in her personal problems. When she started singing in the coffee shop, she got a fan base. "I developed a loyal following. No one knew I was homeless." When people began taking an interest in her music, it gave them hope and happiness. She let them stay touched by her music by keeping her homeless life a secret, putting other people's happiness in front of her own. Jewel once again showed how she cared about other people after her college life. "Jewel moved to San Diego to live with her mother and took jobs as a waitress and a secretary to support herself." To save money, Jewel and her mother decided to move out of their home and live in separate vans." Even with all of her talent, Jewel still cared about the simple things in life, like her mother and money. She never wanted to get people involved in her problems who did not need to be.

Jewel shows how grateful she is for everything she has achieved in her life every day. In her autobiography, she proves this. "I have been blessed to experience some amazing things in my life." Jewel sees how astonishing her life is. She did not let the fame get to her head like most celebrities during this time. Her gratefulness for her talent demonstrates the wonderful character she possesses. She later states in her autobiography, "But these are just things... because more than anything, I am my father's daughter... I still work every day to maintain the things I believe in and care about and to uphold the proud pioneer spirit of my family." With all the fame and fortune Jewel gained from her talent, she still stays true to herself and her roots. She remembers who she is and how she got where she is now. For all of that, she is thankful. It is strenuous to stay focused and sane in life, and some people can't take it and completely give up on their suffering all together. For her to not only complete that but to succeed in her dreams is amazingly unreal.

Jewel and her guitar (http://www.tvshark.com/photo/?n=Jewel+Kilcher+Guitar&c=9&m=13&l=1 ())

Jewel Kilcher is a hero for the ability to find and give hope and happiness in the world during harsh times and showing responsibility. During her entire life, Jewel had never treated fairly and never handed the high road; that is a path she made herself. She never brought the public into her personal issues, showing responsibility. In the world we live in today, celebrities are on a spiral downfall and are an abominable example for the youth. With Jewel in the 90's, she told a story that inspired people to stick with their dreams and never give up. This is something that is rare in the world today. Everyone should look up to Jewel as a leader because she is a person of heart and courage. 

"Jewel Biography." Bio.com. A&E Networks Television. Web. 09 May 2012..

"Jewel." Contemporary Musicians. Vol. 59. Detroit: Gale, 2007. Gale Biography In Context. Web. 9 May 2012.

"Jewel Kilcher Horoscope." Jewel Kilcher Horoscope. Web. 18 May 2012. .

Kilcher, Jewel. "Jeweljk.com." Jeweljk.com. Jewel. Web. 09 May 2012..

"Movies." Y95 COUNTRY. Web. 17 May 2012. .

Tribble, Scott. "Jewel." Baker's Biographical Dictionary of Popular Musicians Since 1990. Ed. Stephen Wasserstein, Ken Wachsberger, and Tanya Laplante. Vol. 1. Detroit: Schirmer Reference, 2004. 333-335. Gale Virtual Reference Library. Web. 8 May 2012.

"TV Shark." Tvshark.com. Web.

Jewel - Jewel Kilcher's Official Website
Celeb Buzz - Recent News on Jewel Kilcher
Biography - For More Information on Jewel Kilcher