Press_Release

12th Annual Laguna Hero Fest Set for November 16th

by MY HERO Media from Laguna Beach, CA

MY HEROLifeguard Stand Laguna Beach - Robin Altman

Contact: Jeanne Meyers                                       For Immediate Release
Co-founder/Director
The MY HERO Project
[email protected]
949-376-5964

OCTOBER 31, 2019 - LAGUNA BEACH, CA – In two weeks, the Boys & Girls Club of Laguna Beach will host the 12th annual Laguna Hero Fest — a celebration of local and global heroes presented by The MY HERO Project. The Festival will take place on Saturday, November 16, from 4-6 p.m., at the Boys & Girl's Club(1085 Laguna Canyon Rd, Laguna Beach, CA 92651). This family-friendly program will feature live performances, art activities and screenings of short films.

The MY HERO Project (myhero.com) is a Laguna Beach-based organization with a mission to celebrate heroes from all walks of life. MY HERO is working with students and staff at the Boys & Girls Club to prepare special presentations for this event. Media Partners for the event include Stu News Laguna and our local radio station KX 93.5

MY HERO Media Arts mentors will work with students to create unique artwork and music and dance presentations. Rapper/hip-hop dancer and choreographer Trey Carlisle will help students at the club develop an original performance. 

This year’s festival coincides with the International Day of Tolerance, designated by the United Nations. Audrey Azoulay, director-general of the UN’s educational branch UNESCO, said, “Tolerance is an act of humanity, which we must nurture and enact each in our own lives every day, to rejoice in the diversity that makes us strong and the values that bring us together.” To honor the day, MY HERO is calling for local nominations of heroes who are working for peace and tolerance. Nominations can be made by signing the MY HERO Guestbook or by emailing [email protected]

MY HERO will announce the winner of the 2019 MY HERO International Film Festival Peoples Choice Award and will screen the winning film. In addition, MY HERO mentor and filmmaker Marc Ostrick will show the film Made in Madras, the story of an 18-year-old girl living on the streets of Madras, who dreams of becoming a successful soccer player. The film was made during MY HERO's Global Exchange in India, in which Ostrick mentored filmmakers creating hero-themed films. 

Support for the Laguna Hero Fest comes in part from The City of Laguna Beach and The Boys & Girls Club of Laguna Beach. Art activities for the festival are being funded by The FOA Foundation.

Tickets are free but donations are welcome to support the ongoing work of The MY HERO Project. Please RSVP online.