Press_Release

My Hero International Film Festival Honors Filmakers And Heroes From Around The World

The 9th Annual MY HERO International Film Festival

Contact: Wendy Milette                                   FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

[email protected]

949.376.5964

MY HERO INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL HONORS FILMAKERS AND HEROES FROM AROUND THE WORLD.

Los Angeles, CA – 12/04/2013 –Since its inception in 2005, the MHIFF has served as an extension of The MY HERO Project, which aims to empower and inspire people through film, media, and art.

The 9th Annual MY HERO International Festival took place on November 23rd at the USC School of Cinematic Arts in the Ray Stark Theater.  

Tiffany Shlain and The Moxie Institute won Best of Fest with their film, A Declaration of Interdependence. It is one of several short films from the Let It Ripple series that won top prizes at the MHIFF.

A Declaration of Interdependence
A Declaration of Interdependence

The Dream of Life – Alan Watts by Isaac Blencowe won the MY HERO People's Choice Award after a period of public voting.

Syria Refugees Children's Voices produced by UNICEF Television and Three Lives Being Lived in Zaatari Refugee Camp by World Food Programme won 2nd and 3rd place, respectively, in the Humanitarian category. Both films highlight the struggles of Syrian refugees living through the country's conflict.

Special awards were given with cash prizes to outstanding short films.

The Sylvia Earle Award went to Cheikh Seck from Senegal for his film Mr. Whale with a cash prize from One World One Ocean Foundation; Vital Voices Film: Hawa Abdi  was honored with the Dan Eldon Activist Award, Moral Courage: Stopping Shootings in Brooklyn Before They Start was honored with the Ron Kovic Peace Prize. Sports Illustrated Kids: Conner and Cayden Long were honored with the Engage Award by Life Giving Moments.

Vital Voices: Hawa Abdi
Vital Voices: Hawa Abdi

Other winners included Run with Me by Cameron Covell, Travelers by Kenza Kadmiry, The Magic Bracelet by Rina Goldberg and the Make a Film Foundation, and Intersections in the Land of Eternal Spring by Wayne Schoenfeld.

Mike Patterson, an Animation Professor at USC, won 1st Place Music Video with Mr. Blue Sky. The video was a collaboration between Mike, Candace Reckinger and animation students at USC. Mark Manalo, a cinema student at USC, also won 1st Place in College Narrative with his film, No Child Left Deprived.

The festival was dedicated to USC Alumnus, Bill Sharman, who passed away in October. Bill played basketball while a student at USC and in the NBA. Bill Sharman became a coach for the Los Angeles Lakers and was inducted to the Basketball Hall of Fame as both a player and a coach. He led the Lakers to a undefeated winning streak and championship. Bill dedicated his life to working alongside his wife, Joyce, toward many humanitarian causes for children.

Dedicated to Bill Sharman
Dedicated to Bill Sharman

During the festival the audience was moved by the heroes and stories featured in the winning films. Many filmmakers and heroes connected with each other during the breaks by sharing their own experiences and personal missions.

Winning films can all be viewed online. http://myhero.com/Winners

Submissions are now open for the 2014 MY HERO International Film Festival.

To find out more about the festival and how to submit, visit myhero.com/filmfestival.